Camera Alternatives

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

craigmanning

Camera Alternatives

Post by craigmanning »

Hi, I'm looking to build a bookscanner (for a semi commercial purpose) and was wondering if anyone had looked at using document scanners instead of camera's?
I'm finding it hard to source camera's under the $700 mark that can be controlled remotely. Something like this?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/50943 ... e.html?s=p

any advantages / disadvantages
Anonymous2

Re: Camera Alternatives

Post by Anonymous2 »

5 megapixels will barely give you readable text. I'd expect 8x10 pixel quality for individual letters, which is not very good.

I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot A2200 for $79.99. Amazon is selling it for $96.00, but you can probably get it cheaper from Best Buy. It has 14.1 MP, full CHDK support and is pretty compact. I didn't use it for book scanning, though, as I have a dedicated camera for that.

You could spend $200.00 and get really high-resolution scans with twin 14 MP cameras and have the benefit of CHDK, which will let you perform simultaneous remote triggering.

If you are looking for remote triggering, most Canon PowerShot cameras can be modified with special firmware (CHDK) that allows you to remotely trigger them with a modified USB cable. There are a few threads about this on the forums, so here's one.