How might I weigh down a scan bed cover?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Advice Pro
Number of books owned: 30

How might I weigh down a scan bed cover?

Post by Advice Pro »

I find that I get the best the bes scans if I hold down the cover while scanning. I prefer not to do this, but I want the scan quality, so I want to try way down that scan cover.

My printer is an epson workforce 645:

stearn
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: How might I weigh down a scan bed cover?

Post by stearn »

Depends on how much you need to weigh it down by, whether you are using the feeder unit it looks like the scanner has, and if you need the lid attached for scanning.

I have an A3 scanner with ADF, and the lid is quite heavy in itself, but occasionally I have paper that slips so I sit a spindle of CDs on top of the ADF and adjust the number of blanks until it works.

If I am using the scanner without the ADF I can either put the original lid on (simple plastic with a foam layer and as hard white plastic coating) or more often I just use a cutting mat or piece of rubber sheeting (a couple of mm thick - rubber flooring tiles are ideal for this but are pricey unless you had one left over from a job!). Some scanners have a switch that operates as the lid is closed - tape and a piece of card will sort that out.

The only downside to this is the darker colour of the mat, so sometimes it is necessary to use the lid, but taping a cutting mat to it will make it evenly heavy
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Re: How might I weigh down a scan bed cover?

Post by snaguy »

I use a piece of foam that came with some packaging and then some weights on top of the foam. I find that the normal cover does not press the sheet of paper down adequately enough for best results. I will post a pic tomorrow to give you a better idea of what I am talking about. Or if you find the right type of card board you can attach to the bottom of the cover that might help with the pressure.