dlsr camera wear

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

markvdb
Number of books owned: 0

dlsr camera wear

Post by markvdb »

Just read up a little on camera wear. It seems most consumer level dslr cameras are rated at 100k photos before shutter and/or mirror die under normal circumstances.

In a book scanning setup, the wear is said to be much less. I've read quotes online of people doing over a million, and with more expensive 300k photos rated dslrs even 3 million.

Any experiences with your dslr shutter/mirror mechanisms dying on you after scanning a lot of books?
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: dlsr camera wear

Post by daniel_reetz »

spamsickle, a member here, actually rolled over the shutter counter on his canon powershots (a590, maybe?).

the Internet archive gets between 50 and 100K shutter actuations on their 5D mark IIs.

in all the time I've been doing this, i've only ever heard of one shutter wearing out/failing on a compact camera, but I can't find the reference right now.

all in all they are extremely durable and book scanning is very undemanding on a camera in this regard. the conditions are controlled and the usual failure modes (dust on shutter leaves, vibration, heat from holding shutter open for long periods) don't happen.

however in the next two years we will see cameras with "electronic shutters" that will eliminate this problem forever.