Suggestion for hi-res scanning A3 sized formats?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

machelensin
E-book readers owned: ipod
Number of books owned: 3

Re: Suggestion for hi-res scanning A3 sized formats?

Post by machelensin »

I finally completed this project, it took quite awhile, just adding the finishing touches with paint...
21737_654195656085_8707698814059634973_n.jpg
21737_654195656085_8707698814059634973_n.jpg (46.87 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
I have an ~11.5lb round rod lead weight with 4 coatings of truck bed liner coating on it, cured for 72 hours as the counterweight in the back :D

Here is a sample of the first shot I took with it, no cleanup, etc. It's a small treasurer book from 1934. I have to tweak the lighting position slightly but I'm pretty happy with the results.

[Large file, be warned ;) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt5cq4gw60p24 ... 2.pdf?dl=0 ]

Camera:
Nikon D810
Nikor AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens
Wireless Remote, tethered to laptop.

Rig:
2 x Soraa MR16 - GU10 - LED (So no UV to worry about), 95+ CRI, low voltage, compatible with SNAP filters to shift color/beam shaping.
Plexi - 3mm Evonik Industries Acrylite OP-3 P-99, Museum/Conservation Grade
11.5lb lead counterweight via 2 pulleys on top, I can move the platen up and down with 1 finger, and it stays in place when no force is exerted.

Can take A3 sized books with bindings up to 4" thick. I have to run the camera at 1/50 shutter speed to get around the flickering of the LED's. I have 1 power cable coming into the box on the left side using a spare photocopier PSU connector, from there it goes to a master power switch, and then breaks off into an outlet to power my laptop or anything else, the 2nd runs to a dimmer for the lights, to a power box with European outlet plugs, which I can plug my lights into. This is to prevent anyone from plugging a laptop, etc into the dimmer switches and frying electronics. Murphy's Law.

IF I HAD TO DO THIS AGAIN: I would like to make a metal frame instead of wood for my uses. I also would like to perhaps upgrade my lights from using AC powered LED's that flicker to using something like Soraa's light engine system, which is basically the same LED's but on DC power so it doesn't have the 120hz PWM flicker. In the fashion of perfect timing, it was announced right after I finished buying/setting up the lights >.< Bonus points, I can recycle the SNAP filters I have for the current lights for the new engine powered lights :D
cuba
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Suggestion for hi-res scanning A3 sized formats?

Post by cuba »

dead link: [Large file, be warned ;) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt5cq4gw60p24 ... 2.pdf?dl=0 ]

any chance you could post more pics? i dont understand the setup from the current view