Best Camera setting for Canon A1400 ?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Best Camera setting for Canon A1400 ?

Post by cday »

@rkomar: This an enlargement of a section of the original image after the levels adjustment, do you think that it is significantly out of focus?
IMG_0006_1L_Levels_cday_enlarged.png
IMG_0006_1L_Levels_cday_enlarged.png (135.94 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
The above image is colour like the original image posted, and is uploaded as a PNG as that format displays on the forum and is lossless, unlike JPG.
Last edited by cday on 01 Aug 2014, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
mursa
E-book readers owned: kindle3
Number of books owned: 250

Post by mursa »

cday wrote:@rkomar: This an enlargement of a section of the original image after the levels adjustment, do you think that it is significantly out of focus?

I dont think so... My opinion, after level correction not bad for me... (sorry for my bad language...!)

The above image is colour as was the original posted, and uploaded as a PNG as that format is lossless.
Sorry but I do not understand exactly what you want to say.
cday

Post by cday »

rkomar wrote:I still think you'd get better results if you got the pages in better focus. No camera settings are going to make blurry characters look better.
rkomar suggested that the original images posted were slightly out of fucus, I've zoomed in on a section of the first image, and I'm asking rkomar if he still thinks the image is significantly out of focus...
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by rkomar »

The top and middle of each image is in focus, but the bottoms are going out of focus. I suspect that you'll get more OCR errors from the areas that are poorly focused. cday: try processing the bottoms of the sample images and see if they are clear enough for OCR. My guess is that the accents are going to be hard to distinguish.
cday

Post by cday »

rkomar wrote:cday: try processing the bottoms of the sample images and see if they are clear enough for OCR. My guess is that the accents are going to be hard to distinguish.
Perhaps mursa could look at the OCR results that have already been obtained and say if there are more errors in the lower part of the pages?

Edit:

Looking at the first page again, the lower-most part has some curvature in the lines of text which seems a more likely source of any errors...

mursa : are you using FineReader 12 or an earlier version? As I indicated before, the newest versions do claim to be optimised for the distortions that are typical in camera images.

If you're not using the latest version, there may be a free trial restricted-use version available for download on the Abbyy.com site, although it may not always be available.

Edit_2:

I've just had a quick look at the second image and that in addition is unevenly lit, which limits the enhancement that can be obtained using a levels or similar adjustment.
mursa
E-book readers owned: kindle3
Number of books owned: 250

Post by mursa »

Today i made a mechanic trigger for the scanner and with the help of this trigger my hands become free, so i can properly press the book to make better shots. To answer your question "yes" i use abbyy finereader 12. But i realize that the sample i used before is not that of a good quality sample, because when i tried with a different kind off book i got better results. On the other hand the OCR made errors because of the turkish character structure. For example "ın" = "m" or "nın" = "mn" are errors usually happens in OCR reading. Because of this like you said, by taking higher quality shots you can get over these reading errors.