Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

scann
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Post by scann »

Doranwen wrote:Oh boy, I'll be saving up for a year then, lol. Good to know, thanks.
You shouldn't worry that much. Daniel is planning to do an explanation of how to put together this model if you have lots of time and don't have lots of money.

However, how many books were you planning to scan? I read in the Hello thread that you wanted to digitize some of your books to read on the e-reader. I think that in that case you can go with simpler options. Not only David Landin's model (http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =14&t=2914) but also you can try something like this (http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 22&p=17906). If you don't feel like drilling & screwing you can also try with a cardbox scanner. For doing one or two ebooks once in a while it's the best option.
scann

Post by scann »

Also, you might want to check this list: http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... 7009#p7009
Doranwen
E-book readers owned: Onyx Boox (dead), Astak EZ Reader (dead)
Number of books owned: 2700

Post by Doranwen »

I plan on doing a lot of books, actually. I have 1900 books on my bookshelves. At least 3/4 of them have not been digitized, afaik. 1/2 at the most optimistic (and given that I have a lot of decades-old books from small religious presses, not likely). So I know I want something serious in capability. Plus I'd like to digitize all the piano books I have (most of which are children's instructional). I also have a set of older educational materials (textbooks and workbooks) that are not being produced any more (and won't again) and have never been digitized, as they're from a small religious press; I've got a bunch of them sitting in bins at my house, and would love to scan before something happens to the physical copies. And if that's done, I have a wishlist of some super-rare books that I'm hoping to find at a library somewhere; they'll be lost otherwise as the publishing companies have no interest in digitizing them, and I can't find copies to purchase for love or money. Older children's books are low-interest to them--but high-interest to me. And there may be some people from my church who would be willing to pay for my time in taking a physical book they own and producing a digitized version (which I would then give to them with their physical book, of course).

I think I have enough scanning projects to keep me busy the rest of my life, lol. The sad part is, I don't have that much income, nor do I have any mechanical abilities. I'm hopeless with following blueprints and building instructions. But I'm going to see what my cousin thinks of this--he's pretty handy with stuff like that, might be able to convince him to work on this for my Christmas present. :D
scann

Post by scann »

That sounds like a lot of books :D
scann

Post by scann »

UPDATE - 18-09-2014

The Beta Program is still ongoing, and for the most part, we've worked out the hardware bugs and made SpreadPi stable. But we need another round of input and feedback, so we've made a small batch of twenty kits available: ten professional kits and ten DIY kits. The professional kits come painted and with the lighting module, while the DIY kits come unpainted and you'll have to figure out the lighting module by yourself.

Daniel will be going over each kit by hand to ensure correctness and good fit. If you buy a kit now, it is going to take 3-4 weeks from the time of purchase to ship. He's going to try to ship sooner than that, but no promises.

This is still not a turnkey solution yet. There will be a pre-order for the next batch very soon. We'll make more and produce more extensive documentation, which is the main thing needing work right now.

If you're a Wordpress developer and want to help us out, write back to diybookscanner [at] gmail.com. We'd like to make a deal.

Go to the store and buy if you're interested. Daniel is interested in your thoughts.
scann

Post by scann »

And, of course, check The Archivist project at Make magazine!
KRLS

Post by KRLS »

Hi! We will purchase The Archivist this next week, but I have few questions about it.
1) You recommend this 16MP cameras. is they enough? do you recommend another camera with more resolution? http://diybookscanner.myshopify.com/blo ... hivist-kit
2) Are there big differences between the four cameras recommended?
3) When do you release the control system? Now, is it available?http://store.diybookscanner.org/collect ... rol-system
4) I would like to know the exact dimensions of the The Archivist. I'm not sure if I have space enough in my local library.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Are there any videos of the archivist in action? So far none have jumped out at me from the forum.

Thanks.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

How odd, this topic was just locked for me. I unlocked it.
KRLS wrote:Hi! We will purchase The Archivist this next week, but I have few questions about it.
1) You recommend this 16MP cameras. is they enough? do you recommend another camera with more resolution? http://diybookscanner.myshopify.com/blo ... hivist-kit
2) Are there big differences between the four cameras recommended?
3) When do you release the control system? Now, is it available?http://store.diybookscanner.org/collect ... rol-system
4) I would like to know the exact dimensions of the The Archivist. I'm not sure if I have space enough in my local library.
1. Right now, we can only recommend the Powershots. However, we're working on support for Nikon D5200 and D5300 camera bodies. No ETA on that.
2. Not much in the way of differences. I use the A1400IS myself.
3. The software is available now and all the parts are available on Amazon, but I'm still working on selling it myself.
4. It's big. 16"x30"x48"

JonEP: None yet. I was thinking we'd get some from the Beta, but so far, no. I'll create one in the coming weeks. I'm actually switching jobs right now, so it's a crazy busy time, but I have a day or two to tackle some issues like that one.
tadeas
Number of books owned: 500

Post by tadeas »

Hi, thanks for all the work on the v2 version.

A remark on the makezine project documentation:
In step 20, there is a reference to a LightModulePanels_Need2Ea.dxf file, which is not included in the DIYBookScannerArchivistDesignFiles.zip file (on makezine website). It's quite obvious what the dimensions are, so it's not a problem, but maybe for the completeness?

And three questions:
1/ Any ETA on the final ArchivistDesignFiles?
2/ When released, would it be possible to get a version of the ArchivistBookScanner_M3.dxf with dimensions in milimeteres (mm) instead of inches, so that we can use them easily on european CNC machines?
3/ Can you specifiy which high CRI LEDs (manufacturer, type) you've decided to use in the final design?

Thanks. Looking forward to building one :)
T.