CHDK Install on A1400 Grabs German Version

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

johnelle
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 800

CHDK Install on A1400 Grabs German Version

Post by johnelle »

When I finally got the sticks utility to recognize the a1400 it downloaded something that indicated it was "German Experimental" and the flash screen on boot has some German on it. I have a German name and work for a German company, but I only know enough German to read restaurant menus.

Is it ok to run this or do I have to figure out how to trick it to download a different one?
nafraf
Number of books owned: 0

Re: CHDK Install on A1400 Grabs German Version

Post by nafraf »

Probably, CHDK-DE build preference was selected. Select Development (1.3) CHDK.
STICK instructions are available here: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html
johnelle

Post by johnelle »

I actually did read the directions. Regardless of the build preference setting it downloads the German version on my machine. Tried different settings and didn't affect this. Seems to work ok in my "hello world" test. I did see something about "changing language to English" flash by on one of the LCDs.
cday

Post by cday »

This result from a Google search 'CHDK language' might possibly help:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Languages
johnelle

Post by johnelle »

Actually all the language files are on the card. You still have to set the default in the camera which requires wading through the German menus. No joy so far.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hmph. Not good.

If you're planning to use the cam with Spreads or SpreadPi you don't need to worry about the language as (at least last I tried) you can set the camera parameters from the spreads interface. When Rob and I had this problem we did the horrible menu-wading described in cday's link. I wonder if the STICK utility has a bug or is failing somehow, it should respect your choice if you choose the non-DE version.
cday

Post by cday »

Another link from the Wiki -- for the A490 and dated 06.2011 -- includes this text:

"... to change CHDK menu language to english, delete or rename the file \CHDK\LANG\german.lng"

If you have that file, or something similar, that might possibly be a direct way of selecting English as the default language when CHDK is launched.