Best Cameras Images

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

mattbh
E-book readers owned: to many
Number of books owned: 3000

Best Cameras Images

Post by mattbh »

Hi ! After 1 year projection and building my scanner , It's time to decide which best camera I supposed to use . I've spent a long time searching for nice cameras that can give a great image without break up my budget. Which cameras can I use ? Anyone could send me a list of cameras recognized by the software ? Canon PowerShot ELPH 350 HS (Black) is a good camera that can be used by software ?
I really appreciate ! Thanks
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Best Cameras Images

Post by duerig »

Hi. There is some discussion of camera selection a bit down on this page:

http://diybookscanner.org/intro.html

Specifically, a good default option is the ELPH 160 cameras. They are known to work well and are one of the supported camera models for Pi Scan (if you want to use that as your controller).

If you have a larger budget and want a higher quality camera, then you can take a look at Nikon J series cameras. They are mirrorless and completely digital so that they don't have moving parts which will wear out. But they have a high quality lens and sensor. Most of the models in the series are also supported by libgphoto so you can control them with a computer. These are less well-supported (I haven't yet held one in my hand), so you may need to do some scripting yourself to get them to work the way you want.

At the highest end, you can get up to 50MP cameras for thousands of dollars. These cameras have remote capture software from the vendor but AFAIK there is no open source way to control them.

-D
mattbh
E-book readers owned: to many
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by mattbh »

Thanks a lot ! I´m looking for something little bit better than Canon Powershot ELPH 160 cameras. The question is : I don´t Know which cameras I could use to use.Whats the best progam to do it? Ive read about Scan Tailor but I ´m not sure about it ! Could I use only Pi scan to get images? Thanks

:)
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

Any camera which supports CHDK might work with Pi Scan. See their list here:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

The only special thing about the ELPH 160 is that I have those on hand. So if you get some and they don't work with Pi Scan, I might be able to help you fix it. OTOH, if you have a completely different camera, you may be on your own if things don't work.

Higher end cameras (DSLR and mirrorless) don't have CHDK support, but they are often supported by gphoto. So that might be a way to control them. But higher end cameras often have remote controls that you can buy for them as well so that might be the best way to control it.

In addition to Pi Scan, the other two capture software options you can find here are TwoCamControl and Spreads. Both of those should also work for CHDK-compatible cameras. Pi Scan only runs on a Raspberry Pi 2. TwoCamControl runs in Windows. Spreads runs on any Linux machine.

-D