Two Camera/One Switch Solution (Finally)

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

clemd973

Two Camera/One Switch Solution (Finally)

Post by clemd973 »

If you are a Newbie, or a not-so-Newbie, you might want to check out this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/ Frans Van de Kamp builds these switches to your specs (RE: cord length, switch style). While the "Reetz Switch" is ergonomically your best choice, it may not be as readily available as the FVDK switches are. Below is an informative email he sent me when I first contacted him about ordering one of his switches for my two Powershot A1000 IS's. (Great info in here, especially for a Newbie like myself):

My remote switches work with every Canon Compact camera as long as they use the CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) or SDM (Stereo Data Maker) firmware enhancement.
I assume that you already know what CHDK or SDM is but if not, you can read all about it on
CHDK: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
SDM: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

The remote control option is not something that is supported by the native Canon firmware but one of the functions that has been added by the enhanced firmware. Neither CHDK or SDM is a permanent firmware update but a small program that loads from the SD Card when the camera is switched on and at that moment it gives the camera all kind of extra functions which normally would not be available.

For a book scanning project, I would certainly recommend SDM as it is easier to use and because it originally is developed for stereo photography, it is tuned for but not limited to using two cameras simultaneously. On the SDM site you will also find a link (http://www.diybookscanner.org/) to Danial Reetz book scanner which also uses SDM.

The A1000 cameras are supported by SDM and they will work with my remotes as soon as SDM is installed on the cards without the need to make any additional menu settings. So although SDM offers a lot of enhanced functionality, it is not needed to learn all of them in order to use the remote.

If you decide to use SDM, you will have to download the "Common Files" zip file as well as the camera specific firmware version.
Both ZIP files should be extracted to the same folder on your hard drive and than the SD Cards can be prepared by running the sdminste.exe program.

In order for the software to be loaded by the camera, it is important that you lock the cards before putting them in the camera.
The lock switch is not a physical protection but it's setting is recognized by the camera firmware. The standard Canon firmware would normally refuse to write to the card when it is locked but the enhanced firmware uses this functionality to load the program into the cameras memory and it will write to the card as if it were unlocked.

Should you want to order one of my remotes, then please make a PayPal payment to fransvandekamp (atsign) gmail (dot) com. [Best to check his page for pricing and send him an email for your specific order and final pricing - his prices are VERY reasonable.]

The remote (with two cables) will be made to your specifications so you can decide how long you want the cables to be as well as the orientation you would like for the plugs.

The standard remote will look like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/470 ... 151791739/
But you can of course also opt for one of the larger versions.

And on this picture you can see what the possibilities are for the orientation of the plugs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/470 ... 151791739/

Frans

I should receive mine in the mail this week. I'll update this post after I connect it and try it out.
Philip

Reply to this post or PM if you have any questions.
xeviousx

Re: Two Camera/One Switch Solution (Finally)

Post by xeviousx »

so have you received it yet?

Quite interested in this
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

xeviousx wrote:so have you received it yet?

Quite interested in this
It's on my desk at the moment; but I'm out of town until Wednesday night. As soon as I return, I will set it up and update the post after I try it out. Hope to have a few pics too. I'm quite certain it will be perfect for the Standard Scanner.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

xeviousx wrote:so have you received it yet?

Quite interested in this
Just connected the VanDeKamp switch to my two A1000's, and it works beautifully. The trigger is small, and it even has a timed remote (haven't used that yet). His craftsmanship is professional quality, i.e., looks mass produced/store bought. Would definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone.
xeviousx

Post by xeviousx »

thanks for the feedback, i will finish my scanner this weekend and will have to get one ordered:D
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

xeviousx wrote:thanks for the feedback, i will finish my scanner this weekend and will have to get one ordered:D
When you finish building your scanner, measure the length of cord you'll need, plus a little extra, and put that in your email order with Frans. He builds the switches to your specifications. Also, dont forget to look at the configuration of the USB port on the camera and tell him the style of plug you want on your switch - you probably want it to angle down towards the bottom of your camera. (He explains all this on his website; read it carefully) Also, the timer remote is also a cool optional feature. Once you have your scanner set up and the cameras in the proper place, you can time how long it takes you to move the platen and turn the pages, etc., and program that length of time into the timer so that it snaps the shots automatically. One less thing the operator has to do - you can just set the switch and the timer to the side. I bought the timer attached with a cord, but I believe he has a wireless one as well. If I had to do it again, I'd go that route, and still might. FInally, I recommend purchasing a cheap AC power adapter for each of your cameras. Going battery-less makes life a lot easier, especially since there's a power strip attached to the scanner. All you have to do is plug in. Good luck!
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

clemd973 wrote:Once you have your scanner set up and the cameras in the proper place, you can time how long it takes you to move the platen and turn the pages, etc., and program that length of time into the timer so that it snaps the shots automatically. One less thing the operator has to do - you can just set the switch and the timer to the side.
Or, you could just skip the switch altogether and use an "autotimer" script in CHDK. I'm using the script which can be found here. Wireless? Well, yeah...

I don't know if this will make it easier to pipe your pictures out to a computer as you shoot or not, since I have no interest in doing so at the moment, but it does leave your camera's USB ports unoccupied.
Moonboy242
E-book readers owned: iPad, Netbook
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Moonboy242 »

I just received my remote(s) in the mail. They are exactly as pictured in the web site, very nice craftsmanship... they look like commercially made equipment. They also work perfectly.

I ordered the standard remote with two USB plugs and 4 feet of cable. Frans was very helpful and responsive in his emails and the whole process was very easy and painless. The product was neatly packaged and shipped international priority mail. They arrived exactly as predicted by Frans - 8 business day later.

I highly recommend this as the source for usb shutter switch remotes!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/

This is the script I am executing to use the remotes:

@title Remote button
while 1
wait_click 1
if is_key "remote" then shoot
wend

end

Paste the above script in a notepad file and save it with the name "remote.bas". Copy the file into the scripts file on each of your camera SD cards (don't forget to the lock the cards!). Then go into your CHDK menu on each camera, Scriptng Options -> Load Script From File -> select "remote.bas". Next you need to enable the remote function on each camera in your CHDK menu options. If memory serves it will be in Miscellaneous -> Remotes -> select "Enable". Connect your remotes, press the shutter button on each camera to activate the script, press the remote button every time you want to take a picture. The script has a half second delay between each camera, so you will hear two quick clicks indicating camera activation.

Thats all there is to it.
iPad: Over it. Android FTW.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

The script as shown doesn't have a half-second delay between the two cameras. It should be firing the cameras simultaneously, or close to it. If you're getting a half-second delay, it may be that one of the cameras is taking time to autofocus, while the other is not. That is probably not what you want.

I recommend manual focus if your camera supports it. Autofocus will usually fail if there is no clear text in the center of the page on which it can focus. If your camera doesn't support manual focus, put an index card with magic marker or something in the center of the mostly blank pages (at the end of a chapter, for instance) so the auto focus will focus properly, then crop it out later with Scan Tailor's "autofill zones" or something similar.
jlee
Number of books owned: 0

Post by jlee »

Will the Canon ELPH 100 HS work with this switch? No luck in finding whether this camera has SDM or CHDK support yet. Anyone with more knowledge on how I can find this out, please guide me. Thanks in advance,
John