Evernote

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

Datamads
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 0

Evernote

Post by Datamads »

I've used Evernote for quite a while. I use it when I read books and I want to remember a passage – instead of inserting postits I take a picture with Evernote which then dewarps, postprocesses the page and apparantly scans it as well.

Has anyone considered using Evernote for scanning entire books? Seems very easy and stable to use and the output is quite high quality. I'm going to try and scan a book or two with my iphone but I would love to see Evernote connected to CHDK/my Archivist scanner. Would be extremely effective I think.

Anyone had the same thoughts?

Here is a sample:
Snapshot fra Sturlasgade 12B i København.pdf
(887.25 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Evernote

Post by duerig »

It would be pretty interesting to see a good comparison of their postprocessing algorithms with other paid/free options. But, assuming their algorithms work decently for you, there are only two concerns:

(1) I understand that there is a maximum number of notes you can have. Make sure you aren't using up one note per page because even with a high limit (100k), you will run out quickly.

(2) Be careful about uploading copyrighted works en masse. While it seems like creating a personal copy of copyrighted works is probably (IANAL) not going to get you sued, uploading to a cloud even if you are the only one who is supposed to have access seems much more legally fraught. I've toyed around with the idea of writing a post-processing web service, but have never implemented it in part because of legal worries.

(3) I don't know exactly how the pay scale works on Evernote, but I have a feeling that having gigs and gigs of images uploaded will be more expensive than an occasional quick note. :)

Even though I don't think I would use Evernote like this myself, I am very interested to learn more about what techniques they are using. Those sample scans you posted look pretty good, especially for stuff captured with your phone without a rig.

-D