ScanTailor - relinking: help / FAQ / tutorial / guide?

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

b0bcat
Number of books owned: 0

ScanTailor - relinking: help / FAQ / tutorial / guide?

Post by b0bcat »

XP, SP3

I use the latest issues of ScanTailor (and occasionally) ScanTailor Enhanced but in each case I have not had success using the relinking tool.

I generally need to relink for old partly finished projects where source tiffs have since been moved from one external drive to another e.g. s: replaces e: and/or the ScanTailor default of 'out' was renamed 'ScanTailor' and/or the source files reside on one drive and the 'out' directory resides on another and I want to relocate to the conventional ST directory pattern.

When I try using the relinking tool I can get it to accept the (new) correct directory for source tiffs, but returning to main view, ST then complains the first selected source image (right hand pane in main view) cannot be found, and prompts to use the relinking tool (again). So I try relinking again and in addition to checking the directory for source tiffs is properly selected, in response to the prompt I select the specific numbered source tiff.

Back to main view and in the right hand pane the numbered tiff is correctly located, but all the rest are not.

Obviously a problem especially for projects containing 100s of tiffs.

I looked for a tutorial or guide to using the relinking tool but can't find one having searched via the usual like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc etc. I don't find the tool intuitive but have plodded through carefully on each occasion of attempting a relink of all source files and neverthless no success.

Any relinking guides or advice out there?
dtic

Re: ScanTailor - relinking: help / FAQ / tutorial / guide?

Post by dtic »

Yeah the user interface for relinking is a bit tricky.

Double click the saved .scantailor project file to open it in Scan Tailor.
The relinking popup is displayed.
Click the folder icon to display the path buttons on top.
Click the path button to the left of the "out" button.
Choose the folder in the new location that is right below the new "out" folder. So if you use C:\test\images\out\ you would here choose C:\test\images\
That should do it.

You can alternatively open the .scantailor file in notepad and edit the two paths at the top there.
b0bcat

Post by b0bcat »

Excellent answer - thanks.

I got one 'plain vanilla' new directory edit to 'take' using the relinking tool but following your direct editing suggestion, for the more funky updates (source tiffs in more than one directory, renamed 'out' directory etc etc) I found it much easier and generally no complaints from ST to do the changes manually using the relevant .scantailor project file in a text editor. I first made backup copies of the .scantailor files then edited manually in Windows Notebook substituting new directory/ies where applicable. (I was also able to delete without problems a link in a .scantailor file to one source directory which was redundant as its files had since been transferred to the main source directory). Only time ST did complain was where I had mistakenly omitted a subfolder in a directory tree; I closed the project without saving and re-edited manually to fix, worked fine on re-opening.

Worth adding to the user guide
https://github.com/scantailor/scantailo ... User-Guide

btw - while working on this I opened an existing project and then (I think) saved for the first time in Scan Tailor Enhanced (32bit 2014-02-14), after re-opening all the margin settings were haywire and there may have been file not found errors reported (can't recall now as I panicked). Closed without saving and reopened in Scan Tailor (32bit, v.0.9.11.1), no issues. I had assumed .scantailor project files were interchangable, or maye an error occurred on my system for some other reason(?)
dtic

Post by dtic »

Good to hear things worked out the manual way. I'm not sure what differences there could be between how enhanced and standard versions save .scantailor files. I've had no such issues but haven't switched between them much either.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Note that there is a bug in the relinking tool in the latest official release of Scan Tailor. Not sure whether it's responsible for the issues you describe, though. The fix was made a while ago but no new releases has been made since then. I am not sure if this fix made it into Scan Tailor Enhanced.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.