ScanTailor for OSX is here

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Dongonzy

Re: ScanTailor for OSX is here

Post by Dongonzy »

Thanks for answer.
May I was looking wrong. You are right. There is a folder "out" and in this folder are the wanted .tif iles!
I missed it yesterday, but now they are here.
FINE PROGRAM. I produced my last BOOk Project with this!! (Win-version)
Super! :D
W.
knappen

Post by knappen »

The OSX version crashed when I tried to work on a folder with images in mixed formats. Tried the same thing on my pc, where it went smoothly.
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

knappen wrote:The OSX version crashed when I tried to work on a folder with images in mixed formats.
Try to identify the concrete file that caused the crash.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
knappen

Post by knappen »

Here we go:

I was working on a big format book partly scanned by myself, partly grabbed from googlebooks. The normal jpg images that I got using googlebooksdownloader caused no trouble, but this particular title page png (only 8 kB) made the program crash on my Mac: http://www.mediafire.com/?h8yaxy7cp4aq41s

Like I said, the file caused no problem on my pc.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

It probably fails on PNG images in general. Someone will have to look at it. Are we bundling libpng or using a system-wide one?
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
n9yty

Post by n9yty »

knappen wrote:The OSX version crashed when I tried to work on a folder with images in mixed formats. Tried the same thing on my pc, where it went smoothly.
Which "osx" version are using? One you built, one I built, or another? Version and location you downloaded it from would be helpful. Thanks.

I just tested the build I have at http://www.4shared.com/file/72104Vm1/Sc ... eta11.html, it works fine with a variety of graphic formats, PNG included.
knappen

Post by knappen »

I installed using the instructions in the first post of this thread.

It seems like some of the images obtained from Googlebooks were rather awkward: some of them in jpg made ST crash on my minipc, while it had no problem with the particular PGN. Did you dl the that image I and run your OSX version on it? - I uploaded it in the post above.
n9yty

Post by n9yty »

knappen wrote:I installed using the instructions in the first post of this thread.

It seems like some of the images obtained from Googlebooks were rather awkward: some of them in jpg made ST crash on my minipc, while it had no problem with the particular PGN. Did you dl the that image I and run your OSX version on it? - I uploaded it in the post above.
Yes, I had no problems with the version I built which is also linked above. I built it using the script inside the scantailor source tree under packaging/osx. You will have to follow the README to set up the supporting downloads. I believe I had to build separate copies of libpng/libtiff/etc as the system ones did not work properly, but it has been a while since I set that all up.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Can someone please share the OSX binary?

Many thanks
Misty

Post by Misty »

ir4him, the first post in the thread has a binary. n9yty also shared his own build a few posts up.

(BTW, for those who install other Unix tools, Homebrew can install Scan Tailor. If you don't know what a package manager is, you probably don't want that option.)
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.