Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

jimboh

Re: Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Post by jimboh »

I found one problem with the instructions on the sourceforge wiki page for compiling ST for Mac OS X. Specifically, I got an error message that qmake could not be found when I used the following command:

cmake -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4-mac/bin/qmake .

The following command worked:

cmake -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4-mac-devel/bin/qmake .

In other words, "qt4-mac-devel" instead of "qt4-mac."

Thank you for the clear wiki page. Not being a programmer, I would have no idea how to compile an OS X version without the wiki instructions.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... n_Mac_OS_X
plecosaurus

Post by plecosaurus »

You can compile scantailor with MacPorts:
Installed MacPorts, then

Code: Select all

sudo port selfupdate
sudo port install scantailor
A compiled binary can be downloaded from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IDB19MW5
(Scantailor 0.9.9.2, Mac OSX Intel)
or from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9KVSY4R3
(Scantailor 0.9.9.2, Mac OSX PowerPC)
Last edited by Anonymous on 01 Feb 2011, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

Does that two-step process fetch and compile the ST source code?

Does that two-step process work with the betas and snapshots?
plecosaurus

Post by plecosaurus »

This fetches and compiles the last Scan Tailor release. Betas and snapshots you still have to compile by hand.

My personal opinion is that compilation already works fine. However, making a clickable app which you can just download, drag to your applications folder and run will take a bit more time.

This is a very good opportunity to make Scan Tailor available to many Mac users.
zamacam

Post by zamacam »

I was unable to build latest sources available on http://scantailor.git.sourceforge.net/g ... ;a=summary

This snapshot to be precise: http://scantailor.git.sourceforge.net/g ... 77e;sf=tgz

All works as it should and build fails:

[....]
Scanning dependencies of target fix_orientation
[ 43%] Building CXX object filters/fix_orientation/CMakeFiles/fix_orientation.dir/ImageView.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object filters/fix_orientation/CMakeFiles/fix_orientation.dir/Filter.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object filters/fix_orientation/CMakeFiles/fix_orientation.dir/OptionsWidget.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object filters/fix_orientation/CMakeFiles/fix_orientation.dir/ApplyDialog.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object filters/fix_orientation/CMakeFiles/fix_orientation.dir/Settings.cpp.o
In file included from /Users/david/Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-post-beta9/filters/fix_orientation/Settings.cpp:20:
/opt/local/include/Utils.h: In function ‘char* copystring(const char*)’:
/opt/local/include/Utils.h:90: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘char*’
/opt/local/include/Utils.h: In function ‘char* catstring(char*, const char*)’:
/opt/local/include/Utils.h:100: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘char*’
/opt/local/include/Utils.h:102: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘char*’
/Users/david/Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-post-beta9/filters/fix_orientation/Settings.cpp: In member function ‘void fix_orientation::Settings::setImageRotationLocked(const ImageId&, const OrthogonalRotation&)’:
/Users/david/Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-post-beta9/filters/fix_orientation/Settings.cpp:77: error: ‘Utils’ has not been declared
make[2]: *** [filters/fix_orientation/CMakeFiles/fix_orientation.dir/Settings.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [filters/fix_orientation/CMakeFiles/fix_orientation.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
imac:_scantailor-post-beta9 david$

Mac OS 10.6.6 and latest up to date MacPort.
diyscanner212

Post by diyscanner212 »

Update: Figured maybe I was missing something from my system the wasn't reported or installed with the binary I downloaded so followed the MacPort path. ST on the Mac is working fine now.

I've been using ScanTailor on my PC but my new iMac is faster (at least I think) and so was interested in trying it on there. I downloaded the binary listed above from megaupload. It runs but when I start a new project it, when I get to the first step of adjusting orientation, it tells me for every pic:

The following file could not be loaded

The images seem to load and display fine on the Mac outside ST, just can't make them work inside ST. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to try? In the meantime I'll keep trying to track it down myself.

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on 12 Feb 2011, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

Zamacam, how are you downloading the source code?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

zamacam wrote:I was unable to build latest sources ...
Try now.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
zamacam

Post by zamacam »

Tulon wrote:
zamacam wrote:I was unable to build latest sources ...
Try now.
It works. Thanks :-)

I noticed a warning during compilation. I don't know if it's important or not. So, just in case:

Code: Select all

[...]
Scanning dependencies of target deskew
[ 52%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/ImageView.cpp.o
[ 53%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/Thumbnail.cpp.o
[ 53%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/Filter.cpp.o
[ 53%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/OptionsWidget.cpp.o
[ 53%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/Settings.cpp.o
[ 54%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/Task.cpp.o
[ 54%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/CacheDrivenTask.cpp.o
[ 54%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/Dependencies.cpp.o
[ 54%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/Params.cpp.o
[ 55%] Building CXX object filters/deskew/CMakeFiles/deskew.dir/ApplyDialog.cpp.o
/Users/david/Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-post-beta9-2011-02-11/filters/deskew/ApplyDialog.h: In constructor ‘deskew::ApplyDialog::ApplyDialog(QWidget*, const PageId&, const PageSelectionAccessor&)’:
/Users/david/Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-post-beta9-2011-02-11/filters/deskew/ApplyDialog.h:49: warning: ‘deskew::ApplyDialog::m_curPage’ will be initialized after
/Users/david/Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-post-beta9-2011-02-11/filters/deskew/ApplyDialog.h:48: warning:   ‘PageSequence deskew::ApplyDialog::m_pages’
/Users/david/Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-post-beta9-2011-02-11/filters/deskew/ApplyDialog.cpp:27: warning:   when initialized here
Linking CXX static library libdeskew.a
[...]

By the way, I'd like to thank you again Tulon. I'm currently saving students books beloging to my grand-father. Most of them were published during the second world war in France on a very bad quality paper. They are in a very very bad state. Using Scantailor and Qrpc I'm able to create an exact and excellent copy :-)
zamacam

Post by zamacam »

Anonymous wrote:Zamacam, how are you downloading the source code?
Well, as described in the first post of this thread. I grab the latest sources using the web interface. I download a tarball, uncompress and untar it and then run the traditional build commands.

By the way, on Mac OS 10.6 with the latest Qt available in MacPort, you should use
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/local/include cmake -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/bin/qmake
instead
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/local/include cmake -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4-mac/bin/qmake .