Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Post by Tulon »

zamacam wrote:I noticed a warning during compilation. I don't know if it's important or not.
Not too important but I got rid of it anyway.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
SKIN

Post by SKIN »

I have built it in Snow Leopard 10.6, but my problem is that it is only utilizing one cpu core and it is so slow. I have 4 cores! I need it to use all of them. I need to find out how to build it so that it uses multiple cores.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

SKIN wrote:I have built it in Snow Leopard 10.6, but my problem is that it is only utilizing one cpu core and it is so slow. I have 4 cores! I need it to use all of them. I need to find out how to build it so that it uses multiple cores.
I think I may have the same problem...I have two cores. How can you tell how many cores it's using?
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Scan Tailor doesn't distribute image processing to multiple cores. Theoretically, there are two ways to achieve that:
1. Process several pages at the same time.
2. Parallelize the most time consuming algorithms manually.

The first one is not too hard to implement, but unfortunately it would consume N times more memory which is just not acceptable.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
SKIN

Post by SKIN »

clemd973 wrote:
SKIN wrote:I have built it in Snow Leopard 10.6, but my problem is that it is only utilizing one cpu core and it is so slow. I have 4 cores! I need it to use all of them. I need to find out how to build it so that it uses multiple cores.
I think I may have the same problem...I have two cores. How can you tell how many cores it's using?
Launch Activity Monitor and you can see the cpu usage for each core.
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

I compile ST for OS X using macports and the instructions on the sourceforge page. All quite easy. The only thing I would need to tweak is the size of one of the fonts in the Apply to... dialogue. As you can see from the following screen capture, part of the text is too small and illegible:
font.jpg
font.jpg (122.44 KiB) Viewed 8246 times
Where exactly would I make the font change in the source? Or, perhaps, the change could be made to the source code in the git repository?
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

The font size is specified in *.ui files. You can try modifying them with a text editor or download the full Qt package and open them in Qt Designer.
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

Tulon wrote:The font size is specified in *.ui files.
Thank you. I have not looked at every .ui file yet, but it appears that, at least for the most part, the .ui files that specify font sizes are in sub-subfolders of the Filters folder.
Tulon wrote:You can try modifying them with a text editor or download the full Qt package and open them in Qt Designer.
I was pleased to find that, as a result of installing and using macports, the full Qt package is already on my computer. That sure makes it easy!

Odd that the 7-pt font is legible in ST under Windows but not under OS X. I would offer to change the font from 7 to 9 pts, but for my complete ignorance of git and how to commit changes - and the possibility that no one else has this legibility problem.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Does 9pt font look fine? I'll check how it looks under Windows and Linux. If it's not too big, I'll make the change myself.
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

Yes, 9 pt is okay. Thank you.