Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Denivic
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Post by Denivic »

Okay, I need HELPP!!!...I scan my first book using "Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S700 it's a 7.2 mega pixels"... I scan over 250pgs. I needed the practice... All Jpeg images quality came out sub-par. I believe the scan quality was 6 or 7 out of 10...NOT BAD FOR FIRST attempt! Nevertheless, I upload the entire jpeg folder to Scan Tailor, I follow every step below.

1.Fix Orientation (Apply)
2.Split Pages (Manual)
3.Deskew (Manual)
4.Select Content (Manual)
5.Margins (Apply to & Apply to)
6. Output Error message

Error message below

What am I doing wrong, why do I get the error message in step 6? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP! It's driving me crazy.

I am using MAC OS X 10.5.8

Another fault I notice, but not significant is a bug in the software. Using the tool bar click on Scan Tailor---> "About scan Tailor" you get the drop down menu shown in the picture below, but they is no way to close nor exit the drop down menu....your helpless and ST is inoperable after that you have to close (oops I meant force quit) and reopen the program.....am I missing something here?

n9yty

Post by n9yty »

Did you watch the scantailor tutorial video that walks you through the process?

As to the "About" modal dialog that drops down, hit ESC key to dismiss it.
Denivic
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Denivic »

@n9yty Thanks for the heads up, viewing the video now and I try the ESC key and it works. Thanks again and sorry for the trouble :D
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Does anyone know...does ScanTailor render images in RGB format or in CMYK format? If they are rendered in CMYK format, is it possible to render them in RGB? Thanks.
n9yty

Post by n9yty »

clemd973 wrote:Does anyone know...does ScanTailor render images in RGB format or in CMYK format? If they are rendered in CMYK format, is it possible to render them in RGB? Thanks.
You might get a better reply if you create a new topic in the main ScanTailor area instead of under this thread on building it for OS X. Not being snarky, if I knew the answer I would tell you myself. :)
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

n9yty wrote:
clemd973 wrote:Does anyone know...does ScanTailor render images in RGB format or in CMYK format? If they are rendered in CMYK format, is it possible to render them in RGB? Thanks.
You might get a better reply if you create a new topic in the main ScanTailor area instead of under this thread on building it for OS X. Not being snarky, if I knew the answer I would tell you myself. :)
Good point! That's what I set out to do but got distracted once I logged on. :oops:
SnakeByte

Post by SnakeByte »

Hey guys, found this thread yay, got the app compiled and running, but have ran into an issue that no one so far has mentioned.

First my system:
OSX 10.6.6
xcode 3.2.5
MacPorts 1.9.2

qt4-mac-devel 4.7.0-beta2_2
libpng 1.2.44_0
jpeg 8b_0
boost 1.45.0_2
cmake 2.8.3_1
tiff 3.9.4_0
(and other port packages that were installed as dependencies)

I git cloned the latest version:

Code: Select all

git clone git://scantailor.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/scantailor/scantailor
Entered the dir and ran cmake:

Code: Select all

CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/local/include  cmake -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4-mac-devel/bin/qmake .
ran make, and then finally make install.

I fired up the app (It reported as version 1.0Beta7). Started a new project, traversed to the directory of my jpg files and clicked "ok". The program went through all of the files but instead of them turning from red to green, they all stayed at red and I got a warning that some of my images were messed up. Note that I had previously used those same images in the windows version of Scan Taylor without issue and I'm able to view them through OSX's preview app so I know they're legit. I'm assuming the jpeg lib somehow wasn't linked to, or some compile flag wasn't set, but cmake and make in osx look much different than what I'm familiar with in linux.

Any idea what is going on here? I've attached both the cmake and make output, but nothing looks like it errored out. I also had previously had MacPorts installed with tons of packages, and thinking they might be at fault, I uninstalled everything including the version of MacPorts I had installed and started fresh, but to no avail.
Attachments
make.log
make output
(28.79 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
cmake.log
cmake output
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
SnakeByte

Post by SnakeByte »

Here's the compiled binary.

Also, the app states v 1.0.0Beta8 not 7. Sorry for the mixup.
Attachments
scantailor.tar.gz
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 392 times
n9yty

Post by n9yty »

Did you use the script in the packaging directory? There is a read me in there too, should have you covered.
SnakeByte

Post by SnakeByte »

Did you use the script in the packaging directory? There is a read me in there too, should have you covered.
Thanks for the reply. So from what I gathered in the readme file, I should abandon MacPorts altogether and just download the required dependencies (and cmake) via the provided links? MacPorts will not work?