JPEG loading problems caused by Symantec Anti-Virus products

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

JPEG loading problems caused by Symantec Anti-Virus products

Post by Tulon »

I received a number of reports of being unable to load JPEG images. Not everyone comes back to me when asked to provide additional details, but at this point I collected enough evidence to point the finger at anti-virus products from Symantec (Norton Antivirus, etc). A few people confirmed uninstalling those makes the problem go away. Disabling them seems not to be enough.
Being a problem on Symantec side, I can't do anything about it. I updated the download page with this info.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
querocomprartudoisso
E-book readers owned: Mounting a Homer Scanner
Number of books owned: 6

Re: JPEG loading problems caused by Symantec Anti-Virus prod

Post by querocomprartudoisso »

well, my snti-virus is AVast, and my firewall Comodo... plus, I use TIFF as input. Even thouth, I have problems loading the input files (from start), althouth they are well opened in other viewers.
I attached the screenshot that ilustrates the problem. Since Scantailor alows TIF as input, there should be no problem.
What should I do? Should I open a separate topic about this?
Attachments
Screenshot of the problem: there should be PAGES in there, but there's a black square in each frame.
Screenshot of the problem: there should be PAGES in there, but there's a black square in each frame.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Are you using other TIFF compression than LZW? Try uncompressed or LZW TIFFs. I think ST doesn't support ZIP (deflate) compression in TIFF.
Biblebookman
Number of books owned: 200

Post by Biblebookman »

I am having a similar problem. I uninstalled avast because I heard that it might interfere. Right now i cant see any pictures of any kind on my computer. I dont know what the problem is. I am running AVG still, using windows 7 64bit
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Can you give me a sample file that doesn't load?
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
asmaliki
Number of books owned: 500

Post by asmaliki »

Was there ever a resolution to this problem? I have been using scan tailor for some time on osx with no problems. I have a hundred or so books that i've run through scantailor. Recently I bought PC so that I could take advantage of the multicore hotkey script to speed up my process. However scan tailor does not recognize any JPG's or Tiffs. When I start a new project and browse for an input directory the browser does not show any image files. It shows folders but no image files.

It's a used computer with a fresh install of windows 7. I have not installed more than 2 or 3 programs none of them anti-virus. I'm at a loss, any thoughts?
Update: Interestingly while trying to compile snapshots for this message I discovered that the files were visible in the browser and loadable if I use the relinking tool. This is more or less good news for old incomplete projects but not for new projects. I simply cannot see the files in the browser therefore I can't load them.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

A.s.
This is how the scan tailor browser looks when I try to load images.
Attachments
image 2.jpg
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I've read your posts and I'm not sure what the problem is exactly, but from your screenshots, the pathnames look very long. Could it possibly be a too-long pathname or special character issue? Doesn't sound like it, but I wanted to float the possibility.
asmaliki
Number of books owned: 500

Post by asmaliki »

Thank you for the reply Daniel. I tried to load just one jpg titled "fish" and it still would not work. Also these same books with the long titles work fine in OSX.

Regards,

A.S.
cday

Post by cday »

I think this new thread http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =21&t=2989 is relevant to at least the last past of the above:
Scan_Tailor.png
Scan_Tailor.png (37.93 KiB) Viewed 11822 times
When ScanTailor is used on Windows computers, the files in the folder highlighted in the browser window are not displayed until 'Select Folder' is clicked, which seems inconsistant with normal Windows file operations...