First build with automatic dewarping

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

First build with automatic dewarping

Post by Tulon »

Here is the build: http://depositfiles.com/files/r15711m4c
There are still some rough edges, but automatic dewarping itself seems to work well.

Note: don't use this build - it crashes on pages with little or no text. There is a newer build later in this thread.
Without dewarping
Without dewarping
without_dewarping.jpg (96.86 KiB) Viewed 29058 times
Automatic dewarping
Automatic dewarping
with_dewarping.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 29058 times
P.S: Up to date source code is in Git.
Last edited by Tulon on 30 Dec 2010, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Shaknum

Re: First build with automatic dewarping

Post by Shaknum »

Tulon, this is amazing. The quality of this feature is unsurpassed, I don't know how you do it. I've been trying this out on some scans I've been saving for a while, expectantly awaiting this mile stone, and I've had a lot of success with them. You will probably be getting a lot of these types of messages in the near future, and I don't feel entitled to any response, however if this is useful to you I thought I'd share one of the tricky images I have, that you are likely to have difficulty with in the future. As you can see in the following picture:
Auto Dewarp Difficulty
Auto Dewarp Difficulty
There is some difficulty when the end of the last line of text is indented, this causes the image to dewarp into a trapeziod. Anyway, thanks for the fantastic work, this thing is really robust. I hope the above image is helpful to you, and not a pain in the butt. Let me know if you want the source image. Thanks again.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Shaknum wrote:There is some difficulty when the end of the last line of text is indented, this causes the image to dewarp into a trapeziod.
Normally that's not a problem, provided the vertical boundaries got detected correctly. On the next tab in debugging mode, you would see those blue lines extended up to the vertical boundaries. If the vertical boundaries got detected incorrectly, or if it still somehow produces a trapezoid, I can take a look if you provide me with the source scan.

BTW, multicolumn text is not supported by this algorithm. The reason it works in this particular case is that text lines in your columns are aligned and close together.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Oh my god! That's a nice present for us Tulon. Thank you so much.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Re-he-heally awesome! :)

Will just wait for someone to build a Mac version.

Thanks a ton, Tulon.
bnz

Post by bnz »

Indeed. Very awesome. I too hope that a binary Mac version comes along somehow. I had some success building it on my own, but somehow the jpeg import was broken then.
knappen

Post by knappen »

Ah, great!

I thought that you had given up completing this.

Thanks for this and have a happy new year.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Thank you very much Tulon.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Another build, fixing a crash on pages with little or no text: http://depositfiles.com/files/yjfu8mz8d
dtic

Post by dtic »

:) Great! Thank you Tulon and happy new year.