Dxf file scale?

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

nsi
Number of books owned: 0

Dxf file scale?

Post by nsi »

Hello, Guys!

I intend to build my own Archivist so I downloaded the dxf file and took it to be printed so I can cut it myself (cnc cutting is not an option in a small town in a third world country). The guy from the store opened it on AutoCad and told me the file has no scales.

What is the scale? How do I proceed?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm a noob about this.

Thank you for your attention!
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Dxf file scale?

Post by duerig »

I don't know how these autocad files work. But I do have an Archivist scanner. I will measure a couple of the dimensions and tell you what they are.
duerig

Post by duerig »

The cradle wings are each 14" across exactly which is 35.560 cm. I hope that is enough to get the scale of everything else.

Here is a picture for reference: https://files.app.net/wz3mkcC2X.jpg

Best of luck with your build. Feel free to ask any questions here or let us know if you run into troubles. I have built one of these from a kit myself. So I would be happy to answer anything I can.
nsi

Post by nsi »

Thank you so much, duerig!

I'll see if it can be scaled with these measures. I'll have to take it to a store cause I don't know how to use this software.

I'll let you know how it goes.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I just want to point out that the DXF *is* to scale - most applications that can open it open it at the correct size. I'm really not sure what the shop is looking for, and I hope that Duerig's measurements work for them.
qv_
E-book readers owned: iRiver

Post by qv_ »

When I (the shop) open up the DXF for the hacker scanner the program did convert 1 inch to 1 mm so the scale "was of" by 25,4

/Jan
nsi

Post by nsi »

Guys, thank you so much for your answers! Sorry I didn't answer before, I was trying everything I could to solve the problem.

I told the guy everything you wrote here but he doesn't get the scale right. It ends up being smaller than it should (I know by duerig's measures).

I'm guessing the guy at the graphic shop doesn't know a lot about autocad. I gave him the scale, I told him the 14 inches measure but he said he can't do anything with it. He just said it would be better to give him a pdf file.

I tried to convert it to pdf using online converters and some downloaded softwares but again, the scale is much smaller.

I don't know what to do. That's the only shop I have in my city and nearby areas that will print a paper this big. I don't have a lot of options.

Could you please help me convert this to pdf keeping the right size?
cday

Post by cday »

nsi wrote:I tried to convert it to pdf using online converters and some downloaded softwares but again, the scale is much smaller.

Could you please help me convert this to pdf keeping the right size?
You should be able to change the scale of the image in the PDF file you have by changing the DPI value using common image editing software...

Do you have image editor software, and if not are you using Windows or another operating system? There is suitable freeware software available.

But there seems to be a basic misunderstanding about the DXF file, and resolving that somehow would be a better solution.

Edit:

Do you have a PDF file you can upload, if possible with a dimension in the existing file and the desired dimension?
duerig

Post by duerig »

nsi, there is another alternative. I have been working with a few other people to develop a new kind of scanner that is low cost and much simpler to construct. The idea is that you use a few cheap line-focused lasers along with a Raspberry Pi for control. And in exchange, you no longer need the glass platen, or most of the complicated moving parts of a scanner. The rig ends up being a copy stand with a couple of extra lasers bolted on. You simply hold the book in your hands for each scan and the lasers provide information to dewarp them into good quality book pages.

You can see the ongoing documentation of my work including some video links at the end here: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =17&t=3066
And I've been putting up results here: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =17&t=3079

The drawback, of course, is that this is still under development, so things might be more fiddly or you may have to improvise somewhat to get things working. It will still be a while before I get to the point where there are step by step instructions and the software is more turn-key.

If you are interested, let me know via PM and I can work with you to make a similar rig to the one I have set up.

Either way, best of luck.

-D
nsi

Post by nsi »

duerig, I really appreciate your sharing of your project, but since I'm a noob in these things I guess I'll try to build the Archivist, even because I already have all the pieces I'll need. I hope we get to see your project soon! I sounds very interesting!

cday, I'm using windows and I have Photoshop cs6. I'm also getting Autocad to try to understand and explain to the guy what he needs to do with the file. Would you help me?