Error With Internet Archive Conversion

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

FKLinguista
E-book readers owned: Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 100

Error With Internet Archive Conversion

Post by FKLinguista »

Hello all! Long time no see.

I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana, which is one of the few cities to have an official branch of the Internet Archive at their library. I was able to convince them to scan a few of my larger books, as I now have limited time due to schoolwork. They have uploaded them in a test section of the IA, but one book has not yet converted from the raw JP2s to DJVU, PDF, or anything. It looks as if it is done processing, and there's nothing I can do with the files: http://archive.org/details/burmesegrammargr00lons/

Is this normal to take a few days for the JP2s to convert into each respective format, or did the IA (with their official software, cameras, and hardware) actually screw up somehow?

I am running Linux Mint, and short of opening every file individually in GIMP and converting them to JP2, there is absolutely nothing I can do batch processing-wise to get these files to convert into JPGs to allow me to edit them with Scan Tailor and turn them into PDFs. Would someone here be willing to either lend me a hand or give me advice in this regard?

Thanks a lot in advance,
FKLinguista
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Error With Internet Archive Conversion

Post by duerig »

I don't know anything about the Internet Archive's postprocessing flow or what to expect. But if you want to do conversion yourself in Linux, then ImageMagick will be your indispensable command line companion. It provides two command line tools, 'convert' can transform any image format into any other and do various image processing along the way. And 'mogrify' lets you batch convert many files all at the same time.

Best of luck with your IA woes.
dingodog
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by dingodog »

derivation logs explain what was wrong about derivation stopped; if anything was wrong, the owner of this test account needs to look at derivation log and eventually ask for help
FKLinguista
E-book readers owned: Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 100

Post by FKLinguista »

duerig wrote:I don't know anything about the Internet Archive's postprocessing flow or what to expect. But if you want to do conversion yourself in Linux, then ImageMagick will be your indispensable command line companion. It provides two command line tools, 'convert' can transform any image format into any other and do various image processing along the way. And 'mogrify' lets you batch convert many files all at the same time.

Best of luck with your IA woes.
Thanks for the reply, duerig! Actually, I have ImageMagick and I attempted the convert command to no avail. The application kind of just hanged in the terminal, so I couldn't even analyze the error. The good news is that the page has actually been updated by IA and a PDF now shows!

http://archive.org/details/burmesegrammargr00lons/

Thanks everyone for your responses, and if you feel a need to close this thread since the issue is resolved, by all means please do.