Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

vtscan

Re: Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

Post by vtscan »

Hi I'm Steve, and a great admirer of this forum.

I'd like to build a book scanner to reduce the number of books I have -- they are crowding me out of the house. I'd also like to be able to access my personal library material though an e-book reader, in my case it will be a little odd -- an Eken M001. More of a cheap Android tablet than a dedicated reader, but I'm sure I can make it work well for that.

I've designed and built a live aboard houseboat, a house, a sawmill, a metal lathe, and several engines from scratch. I'm an artist and an engineer currently working on a biogas generation project.

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for the opportunity to participate.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Hello everyone.

I am new here. I am from Spain. I own a photocopy shop and I do a lot of scans.
jlev
Number of books owned: 0

Post by jlev »

Hello, everyone. I've been reading posts here since January but have only recently built my own scanner. I'd like to emphasize how much I respect the work that everyone here is doing, and that Mr. Reetz especially is leading. Last winter, preparing for graduation from university (I'm an undergraduate), I began a project to digitally archive all of my university notes and textbooks from the last four years in order to have them on hand in the future without having physically to take them with me. I began using a flatbed scanner, which worked well but was slow and tedious after hours of re-positioning the notebooks for each new scan. It was with considerable interest, then, when I found this site earlier this year. I planned my own scanner for several months this year and have finally built it, now that the semester has ended.
jakupl

Post by jakupl »

Hello! My name is Jákup and I am a Violist studying at the Royal Danish Academy of Music. I have a huge, constantly growing, archive of music, that I need to digitalize. I have used conventional scanners for ages, and I have scanned a lot of music that way, but the archive keeps growing and thus I need some may to make it easier.

I might go this route. I need it pretty fast, and I can't use much money for it. So it will probably use only one camera, and such.

This page is a huge resource. Thankyou.
mutantstrain
Number of books owned: 1200

Post by mutantstrain »

Hey Community --

Here is my book scanner. Finished last month and have already scanned dozens of books. If I had to improve on anything it would be the skewing that inevitably happens when going through a book. Which is why Dan's latest design looks so compelling.

Here are pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/visiondoctor2020
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I want to wish a hearty WELCOME! to all the new members -- it's really great to have you -- and I really look forward to seeing what you come up with. We've come so far in this short, short year -- and it's all because of the things our members work on.

and also, mutantstrain, if you get a chance, will you make a "build thread" in the hardware section with your build pics? I really appreciate you sharing them, but it's extra-great to have them hosted here for people to look at.
Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel »

I have been the director of a university library for over twelve years now and keenly interested in initiatives such as this one. My background in electronics, as well as the humanities, photography, film-making, and other interests, such as archaeology and early music, make this business of wide-scale digital conversion an especial concern. I like to build things, so I'll doubtless be attempting a project soon, though first I need to finish constructing a celtic harp that has suffered a long hiatus during its execution.
will1384

Post by will1384 »

Hello, my name is William, I go by will1384 on the net, I have a few old books, some of them very hard to find
and I want to preserve them the best I can, this looks like a fun and interesting project and I can't wait to begin
Gaaren-gaargle

Post by Gaaren-gaargle »

Hello folks! I live in Norway, and work here as an optometrist. I'm interested in media, art, sport & outdoor. ;)

I have several books I wish to digitalize (using them on my kindle). Now I'm using opticbook 3600, but the scanning takes to long for big and large books imo. And it takes away time I should have used for something else.
Hiring someone to do the work for me is not an option :lol:. I'm considering making my own scanner and hoping to learn more about making one. :mrgreen:
ovencakerugby

Post by ovencakerugby »

Dear Garren gaargle
It is easy to scan on this scanner 200 pages an hour. If you have a few books, no big deal. Also using scantailor simplifies the output.
I always scan in jpegs, as if the scan is not quite correct for contrast, an automatic process in Photoshop or whatever, cures this.
I have done thousands of pages this way.
Any help needed you can always ask
Regards
peter davenport