Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

spamsickle

Re: Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

Post by spamsickle »

Wow, Francesco, to hell with book scanning, now I want a SPACE BALLOON!

Well, not really, but that's an awesome project. I think I may want a tethered camera to take pictures of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Yosemite, etc. though.

I also need to get me one of those real-time cat-tracking GPS systems, since my cat runs off every time I let him outside.

Seriously, that's really impressive, from the GPS tracking (still want to hear about how you retrieved the camera -- my concern would be that it would come down in the middle of that LAKE in the photos) to the stitching of the panoramas.

Welcome to the group, and I hope you'll post again.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Welcome, all new members and hey Francesco, I recognize your work/name from the CHDK forum. Happy to see you here!

Would love to help everyone get going with their scanner... and we could use some people with programming power to help Rob, Aaron, and whoever get the post-processing software to really tip-top shape. But contributing a build thread/questions for now is plenty... and be sure to read around for all the interesting modifications people have going here.
le.gentleman

Post by le.gentleman »

Hi there,

So far, I've been using a Zeutschel book scanner http://www.zeutschel.com/products/book_ ... 00_bc.html and it works ok, however it is slow and I can't really set the pixel for the output pdf which bothers me.
In the past I've used a simple copy stand and was under the impresseion that it was quicker than the Zeutschel.
Recently, I saw this fully automated scanner : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwX22raw0X8 and though I could build something like that on my own and then I came across http://www.instructables.com/id/S2O9CFHFTK89XZY/ and that's how I found my way to this forum.

I think I will try to make a book scanner with two cameras just like your DIY scanner using your instructions and see how it works.

In any case thanks for all the information and this platform,

le.gentleman
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Is that Zeutschel book scanner one of the so-called "planetary book scanners"?

Any of our dozen or so new members care to come and say "Hello"?
Poodus
E-book readers owned: Amazon Kindle
Number of books owned: 200

Post by Poodus »

My (real) name is Shane Reetz. Daniel = my eldest bro.

I've been following this bookscanner crusade since the early days - from Dan and I scanning in our old family albums, seeing Dan's digitzation of Russian things, and now this! I thought it was time for me to be a member because I'm looking into making dorm-sized bookscanner.

As far as myself, I do lots of things with my camera. 'sides that, I skateboard and play guitar. I'm a college student learning Calculus, French, and majoring in Computer Science.
Woeka

Post by Woeka »

Here something about me:

I'm Joris from the Netherlands and almost graduated as a civil engineer but already working as a geohydrologist (groundwater and stuff).

One of my interests is living history (re-enactment) and from time to time you can find my walking around as Viking. As such I'm very interested in everything about that time and especially archaeological literature about excavations. Lot's of books about excavations are very old and only a few of them are already avialable on the internet, like this book from 1882 (certainly no copyright there any more).

My reasons to build a scanner is that I occasionally buy or borrow a book and like to make copies to share with others or, in case of a borrowed book, to also keep a copy for myself. Until now I used a scanner at work which makes reasonable scans and produces an instant pdf. However scanning books at work is no fun when the books are getting thick (>100 pages takes a long time) and it's only black and white. Others in my re-enactment group have a lot of interesting books but are not very keen on lending books because the books are quite expensive. Digitizing them would be a huge step forward in opening up all the knowledge in there. Being able to do so in a "book-friendly" way would make them much more willing to let me scan there books as well.

Some of the books I scanned or collected.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

It's really nice to see your collection of scanned books online. Eventually, I will be posting a significant number of books I've scanned, too.

Since you're interested in Vikings, you may be interested to know about this replica Viking ship in Moorhead, MN, USA (just across the river from Fargo). It's housed in the weird white tent-like structure on the right of this image, and the housing is just across the river from my workshop.
Woeka

Post by Woeka »

daniel_reetz wrote:It's really nice to see your collection of scanned books online. Eventually, I will be posting a significant number of books I've scanned, too.
The only way of really sharing. However the directory is excluded from indexing by search engines because I'm wondering if all is legal
daniel_reetz wrote:Since you're interested in Vikings, you may be interested to know about this replica Viking ship in Moorhead, MN, USA (just across the river from Fargo). It's housed in the weird white tent-like structure on the right of this image, and the housing is just across the river from my workshop.
Real nice to see a man's dream coming to live. To bad he couldn't make the trip himself. By the way it looks like the ship almost took of during the flood :)
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

Hi everybody

My name is Tristin. I am currently an engineering student in Arizona. A book scanner is more a necessary for me than a want, I read at a 4th grade level but have a drive for information. My computer reads everything to me. Unfortunately I can’t find all of my text books in pdf format, but as an engineering student I love a good project. I have been looking to build one of these book scanners for about a year now, I have been throwing round ideas on solidworks since September of 08. I think I'm going to finally make one within the next few weeks.
edembowski

Post by edembowski »

Hi everyone, My name is Ed, and I'm planning on building a book scanner. I already bade a base for one, with a camera mounted on one side. I've scanned a few books on it already, mostly as a proof of concept. I'm using a Kodak 8.1 mega pixel camera (C813), and I'm experimenting with a few camera settings as well as different post-processing techniques. For a platen, I'm using a glass plate from a broken scanner. I plan to build a more complete system as time permits.

- Ed