iPhone App: PageScanner

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Smartphones are gaining steam in terms of their built-in camera quality and software capabilities. I think this is a very important discussion because it makes us look at the possibilities of overall scanning, mobility, versatility and subsequent hardware design of book scanners.

This discussion may be early, but I'm starting it now, because the rampant positive change in these devices is getting very close to allowing the end-user to do things that were once deemed, "not worth attempting".

UPDATE: Because PageScanner has been well received, I've devoted this thread entirely to that app. I am starting another discussion thread about other iPhone apps that capture & process PDF documents. Look for that thread to appear in the software forum soon.
Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Aug 2010, 15:32, edited 5 times in total.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

This discussion thread is now devoted entirely to PageScanner, as it's garnered enough attention and posts to focus entirely on the app. For other iPhone apps, please use the other discussion thread coming soon.
Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Aug 2010, 15:34, edited 3 times in total.
univurshul

App: PageScanner v1.4

Post by univurshul »

PageScanner 1.4 by FastIntelligence: http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/page-sca ... 31275?mt=8
High quality and fast image processing + OCR + Translate + Continuous Scan + Batch Editing + PDF Create + iTunes file sharing + more in the future.

Page scanner provides a unique image binarization technology, designed specifically for scanning pages, including books, business documents. Unlike ordinary binarization, the scanned page is transformed into gray values instead of simply black and white. The benefit is that it does the best to keep the connection between strokes and the text is more smooth, so that outcome page is super comfortable to read.

To see demos of scanning result, please visit our support page.

Page scanner provides best scanning quality with iphone 3gs. For previous iphones, (1)you should scan pages under better lighting condition, for example, beside the window; (2) It also helps if your hand is steady when you take the picture. Anyway, don't lose hope for your iphone 1g. It can still provide decent quality with the help of Page Scanner.

Page scanner offers other key features:
- Image manually crop give you the chance to remove edges
- Manage pages in folders, delete and reorder pages
- Create PDF from the list of scanned pages
- PDF Preview gives you the opportunity to review the content and quality of document
- Email pages or PDF from page scanner
- Built-in OCR, for latin languages. (for iPhone 3GS or above)
- Integrated google translate.
- Continous scan with user customizable auto take interval.
- Batch image editing let you edit hundreds of pages with a few taps.
- Enable iTunes file sharing.
PageScanner does everything from batch scanning to OCR features to batch cropping to PDF construction to black and white binarization--ALL functions performed within the iPhone app itself. Thanks to the architect's immediate response and unbelievable turnaround time to build features I specifically requested for book-scanning, that software is avalaible for download today: http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/page-sca ... 31275?mt=8. They are continually improving this software, and I believe PageScanner is paving the way for the rest of the scanning apps in the App Store.

I've made no money on this app, and I make none to promote it. There's a Lite (free) version to try and a paid version with full functionality.

Now that all of the above is out of the way, I had an interesting discussion with the developer of PageScanner. We talked a bit about how the iPhone prefers sunlight. This is obviously a plus, because several of the iPhone's camera operations are automated at the moment. But after some basic tests, I've realized the true potential of scanning with the iPhone 4 outdoors as wells as indoors under ambient light. The overall depth and precision of semi-automated camera functions and the intuitive functions of PageScanner has created a whole new functional purpose for the iPhone.

Pagescanner is a truly remarkable product, and very affordable software. If you need a mobile scanning solution on the iPhone 3G/3GS/4, this is it. There's a lot of features and versatility, so much that it deserves it's own thread, so for now, I'll simply plug the review with un-doctored screen shots of what the app can do and demonstrate some key features via the attached pictures. I'll add-to and update this post as I go along, because I am confidant I'll be using this app exclusively.

If you'd like to see what an uncompressed PDF looks like generated directly within the PageScanner app in the iPhone 4, you can download it from my DropBox account here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7332578/Sunligh ... 20Test.pdf.

Additionally, I'm making headway on the smartphone book-scanner hardware build, and the iPhone 4/smartphone aspects are promising for the future of these devices and their supportive software + book-scanning hardware. But the overall pace at which I'm building the hardware is slowing because I'm currently focusing on testing and building "special" platens to incorporate into the new assembly. The smartphone book-scanner hardware build thread is located here: (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=449)

So, in the meantime I leave you with this: PageScanner and the iPhone's camera do an incredible job by simply holding the iPhone in your hand. Think how well your scans will turn-out if you had a dedicated device that supports the iPhone.

Don't be fooled by it's name: PageScanner could be easily called BookScanner
Attachments
Sunlight Scanning Test 5.jpg
(337.75 KiB) Downloaded 1465 times
Cover.jpg
(498.34 KiB) Downloaded 1465 times
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg (24.15 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (42.05 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0005.jpg
(39.19 KiB) Downloaded 22495 times
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (35.44 KiB) Viewed 25693 times
Last edited by Anonymous on 20 Jul 2010, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Re: iPhone Apps for Smartphone Book Scanning (Tests & Review

Post by Tim »

univurshul wrote:PageScanner 1.4 by FastIntelligence: http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/page-sca ... 31275?mt=8
That is a pretty impressive app. It really does pretty much handle everything from taking a batch of pictures of each page to creating the PDF and even OCR and translating. It would be extremely impressive when paired with a very portable stand and platen or other way to flatten the pages, so I'm curious to see your hardware designs.
litchie

Post by litchie »

I am the author of Page Scanner, thanks to univurshul for writing such a great review. To be honest, this app is still in its early stage, so I would like to hear more voices from expert users especially professional book scanning experts. I think iPhone has a great potential to cover the whole book scanning workflow, given its continually growing computation power and of course, its high resolution camera. I plan to bring more into Page Scanner to take care everything you need in scanning books.

If you have interest in this app, feel free to ask me for promo codes (codes you can redeem in iTunes store --US Only-- without pay). You're highly welcome!
litchie

Post by litchie »

Tim wrote:
univurshul wrote:PageScanner 1.4 by FastIntelligence: http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/page-sca ... 31275?mt=8
That is a pretty impressive app. It really does pretty much handle everything from taking a batch of pictures of each page to creating the PDF and even OCR and translating. It would be extremely impressive when paired with a very portable stand and platen or other way to flatten the pages, so I'm curious to see your hardware designs.
Thank you, Tim. I am looking forward to the hardware design too:-)
sixtysix

Post by sixtysix »

I am using this with an iphone 3 and it is very impressive.
How do i create a new folder?
The option to pick from albums- do i need to e.g. binarize page by page or is there a simpler way?

thanks
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

sixtysix wrote:I am using this with an iphone 3 and it is very impressive.
The option to pick from albums- do i need to e.g. binarize page by page or is there a simpler way?

thanks
I haven't had a ton of time operating the software, but if you contact the developer directly through their support forms (http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/page-sca ... 31275?mt=8) or send them a message through this forum, they'll either add the feature you're looking for or show you how it's specifically done.

Late summer I should be using this app on a regular basis and will be able to assist.

Keep in mind, PageScanner is in it's early stages. They're continually building on the app.
litchie

Post by litchie »

sixtysix wrote:I am using this with an iphone 3 and it is very impressive.

thanks
I am not sure what you really want to do, but to add a new folder, you just tap on the "+" button on the toolbar.

About the second question, if you want to binarize a lot of pages, the process is like this:
1. First, you pick one, and do binarize on it, and save, and return the page list view;
2. Second, you tap on the batch edit, and then tell it to repeat same actions for the rest of pages.

I will visit this forum time to time. However, I don't want to turn this thread into page scanner support thread:) So please send feedbacks to me at any time(built in the app).
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

litchie, I understand that you would probably prefer to do all support through the app, but your presence is appreciated here, and you are always welcome to ask for ideas and improvements from this community.

Personally, I would really like to see an Android app with this functionality. Is that something you're considering?