Scan Tailor and JPEG problem

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

mags

Scan Tailor and JPEG problem

Post by mags »

Hello all!
I'm having a strange problem, and I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what's going on. I wanted to install Scan Tailor on a slightly older computer that I have - I've been using Scan Tailor on my somewhat newer computer with no problems at all, but since I'm doing rather a lot of scanning and OCR work for my doctoral research, I wanted to free up the newer computer for OCR and be able to run both processes at the same time. The problem is, Scan Tailor can't seem to load/open JPEGs on the older computer - I just get the message saying 'unable to load this image' (or something like that) when I try to start a project. The odd thing is, it loads TIF files fine, the ones that I'd previously processed with Scan Tailor on the other computer. Both computers have the same OS (Windows XP), and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Scan Tailor a few times, to no avail. Does anyone know what might be going on here? I'm most grateful for any help or advice!
Mags
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Scan Tailor and JPEG problem

Post by Tulon »

Are you running the official version of Scan Tailor?
There was a problem with loading JPEGs in Scan Tailor Plus which was recently fixed.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
mags

Post by mags »

As far as I know I'm running the official version - it's the version off SourceForge that's linked to from the diybookscanner.org website. It's the exact same version as the one I have installed on my slightly newer laptop, which works fine.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Check whether the following file exists:
C:\Program Files\Scan Tailor\imageformats\qjpeg4.dll

If it does, I am out of ideas.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
mags

Post by mags »

I compared the Program Files folder on both my computers, and they're exactly the same - both have the qjpeg4.dll file, and all other files. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it again, to no avail. I'm completely stumped - I'd say it's a problem with the computer itself, but it doesn't seem to have any problems with other programs and jpegs. It is fairly old (at least five years old), and it's not particularly powerful, so it could be that it doesn't meet the requirements for Scan Tailor to operate successfully.
mags

Post by mags »

Well, it seems to work just fine when I convert the jpegs to tif, so I guess I'll just do that!
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

mags wrote:It is fairly old (at least five years old), and it's not particularly powerful, so it could be that it doesn't meet the requirements for Scan Tailor to operate successfully.
That shouldn't be the case. I think it may be some malware or maybe a misbehaving anti-virus on your second machine.
Are you trying with exactly the same JPEGs on both machines?
mags

Post by mags »

It's the same JPEGs, yes. My antivirus is an old-ish version of Symantec, so that could be the issue!
mags

Post by mags »

Amazing! You are the best! I uninstalled the old Symantec and replaced it with AVG, and now it's working no problem!
Thank you so so much!