Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Building Scan Tailor on OSX

Post by Tulon »

I checked it on Windows and 9pt is not acceptable there - it actually makes it bigger than the text directly above it. This means in order for it to get fixed, someone would have to write a patch that applies different values depending on the platform.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

Strange. The text above it is 13 pts.

This is how the dialog appears when I change the font from 7 to 9 pts and recompile for OS X:
9pt.jpg
9pt.jpg (141.15 KiB) Viewed 9813 times
There must be a bug somewhere when the Windows version is created. Unfortunately, I have no idea where that might be.
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

On Windows, text next to checkboxes is 8pt, which is the default value. So no, you can't get away without platform-dependent code.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I just built 1.0.0beta10, and it looks OK to me. A bit on the small side, but I can read it. But jimboh's looks nicer!
scant.jpg
scant.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 9799 times
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

rob wrote:I just built 1.0.0beta10, and it looks OK to me. A bit on the small side, but I can read it. But jimboh's looks nicer!
scant.jpg
Can you please share the binary that you've built from the latest source?

Thanks!
knappen

Post by knappen »

Thanks for the builds, guys.

Which one is the one to grab now, btw? I remember having trouble with the latest build I tried and having to choose an older one some months ago.

Something new coming soon, perhaps?

Will a Mac version be linked to the official page, Tulon?
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

Here is my build with the snapshot as of Sun, 29 May 2011 08:01:34 +0000. This one includes the patch that fixes the crash when we use the right mouse button to invoke the context menu over a picture zone. (That may not describe it perfectly, but that is what I have been doing when I see the crash.)

I forgot to increase the font size for this one. I will do so for the next one I build, after the next interesting snapshot.
Attachments
scantailor.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 398 times
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Hey jimboh,

Questions: Does your build link to external libraries, or is it statically linked? Also, is it PPC, Intel or universal? 32-bit or 64-bit? I'm wondering if we can come up with a script that will build a universal, statically linked binary that will work no matter what on anyone's OSX box...

--Rob
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

rob, I cannot answer any of your questions because I am not a programmer. I simply follow the instructions for building on OS X with Xcode and MacPorts at http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/s ... d_Mac_OS_X

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have the following in my environment.plist:

-DCMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib
-DCMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/local/include
-DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4-mac-devel/bin/qmake

With those settings, this is all I do:

cmake .
make
sudo make install

If it works for others, it works; if not, oh well. :roll:
knappen

Post by knappen »

Thanks for this.

Forgive this stupid question: Is this not a build of the actual program?

I get a Terminal message when I open this saying:

"dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/libexec/qt4-mac-devel/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui
Referenced from: /Applications/scantailor
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout"
Last edited by knappen on 30 May 2011, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.