These are the ABS plastic parts of the lighting module. ABS was chosen for several reasons:
- It is black, which is an optically appropriate choice.
- It is less brittle than PMMA and less flexible than PVC (which are also available in black and in sheet form).
- It has a “hair cell” finish on the outside, which is good for aesthetic reasons, and a glossy inside, which is good for optical reasons.
- It is a relatively cheap plastic to work with; at the time of this writing, a 4×8′ sheet of black 1/8″ ABS is approximately $50.
- It processes well with a laser cutter; these parts were cut with a 1KW laser and showed minimal processing artifacts.
DXF of all ABS Parts: