My first book scanner.

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: My first book scanner.

Post by Misty »

One of the main problems, anyway. The weight bothers me too, especially given the size of some of the books/documents I'm working with!
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

I noticed that the platen was fairly heavy. When I let down my platen it dose not uniformly come down. The front binds on the bottom slides. This also could be because of where I am grabbing it (the top of the platen and not the middle). I think I am going to counter weight the back half of the platen, this should correct the problem, and make it so its not so much of a strain to lift.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

On my "3rd gen" unit the platen is counterweighted with rubber bands, and it is not at all hard to lift. Cratylu's Beta Build does it with springs, and You1 did it with washers/weights. I did find that it was good to leave it so that it "wants" to go down by itself, though, because otherwise the counterweighted side tends to pull up.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

P1000155.JPG
P1000155.JPG (184.15 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
ALMOST THERE!!

I'm getting really antsy, I want to use it already.

I'm working on the camera mounts and solenoid press, i'll post some solid works photos later.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

I'm getting really good quality images with the daylight cfl's.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

daniel_reetz wrote:On my "3rd gen" unit the platen is counterweighted with rubber bands, and it is not at all hard to lift. Cratylu's Beta Build does it with springs, and You1 did it with washers/weights. I did find that it was good to leave it so that it "wants" to go down by itself, though, because otherwise the counterweighted side tends to pull up.
I counterweighted mine with weights too, but it's balanced to want to go down with the cameras on it. When I remove the cameras to retrieve the memory cards, the platen floats up. That's a little odd, but it doesn't seem dangerous.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

So the camera mount, mounts on the backboard. It is free to slide up and down in the y axis, and the camera can move front and back in the x axis. Do you think this will work?

camera mount.jpg
(48.29 KiB) Downloaded 6022 times
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

So I made the camera mounts. I thought I was going to have to cut a channel in my back board to bolt on the camera mounts, however they where tight enough together that they slipped on and stayed. So I finally did some scanning, and my right side of the platen sags a little because of the fact that its is only held up by two bars. So thats something I need to fix. I ended up scanning all of the evens flipping the book and then doing the odds.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

do you mean the right side of your cradle?
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

Yeah, the right side of the cradle. The only thing holding it to the bookscanner is two metal bars that are glued into the other side. I'll send some pics later when I get home.