A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

JThomas
E-book readers owned: nook
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by JThomas »

I'm new here and have been looking for the latest revision of the files for making this scanner. Is there a place where the latest plans are kept?

John
bonesgeorge
E-book readers owned: 2
Number of books owned: 20

Post by bonesgeorge »

JThomas wrote:I'm new here and have been looking for the latest revision of the files for making this scanner. Is there a place where the latest plans are kept?

John
You can find the paper cuts here, but there is an assembly PDF around, and some other files in the first post of this thread!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

The first post in this thread has the latest files.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Oops. I posted this yesterday in the wrong thread. It belongs here.

Got my dual cable brake lever from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO ... 00_details. A 7/8" OD pipe fits the lever perfectly. 3/4" CTS (Copper Tubing Size) pipe has an OD of 7/8". CPVC plastic pipe has the same OD as copper tubing. This is the yellow stuff: http://www.geoplastic.com/images/f41475 ... d98f6f.jpg

PVC pipe (the white stuff) comes in Schedule 40 dimensions; 3/4" PVC has an OD of 1.050".

I can only vouch for the plumbing standards in USA. They may be the same in Canada and some other places but I don't know for sure.
Heelgrasper
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 500

Post by Heelgrasper »

The dual brake cable lever might be a bit hard to find some places around the world. Here in Denmark where bikes are so common that you're a weirdo if you don't have at least one I've only found one place to get them. Even there only eight out of 76 stores have it ready to hand out, the rest you need to special order it. Not that surprising since I would never put a brake lever like that on a bike but some might have to use the not so elegant solution of two brake levers.
---
Jakob Øhlenschlæger
Randers, Denmark

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there
L. P. Hartley
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Even special ordering would be better than just buying it off the web, because the bicycle store (in theory) knows how to put together the right cables with the right brake lever. And, at least here in the US, if you special order from a smaller store, they won't charge you shipping. I guess they just do their usual markup!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Heelgrasper wrote:The dual brake cable lever might be a bit hard to find some places around the world. Here in Denmark where bikes are so common that you're a weirdo if you don't have at least one I've only found one place to get them. Even there only eight out of 76 stores have it ready to hand out, the rest you need to special order it. Not that surprising since I would never put a brake lever like that on a bike but some might have to use the not so elegant solution of two brake levers.
Another solution is to buy or make a cable doubler. Here's a pricey (39 USD) unit: http://problemsolversbike.com/products/cable_doubler/

Several DIY versions: http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthrea ... le-doubler

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/attachmen ... 1278798057

I think one of these cheap (4 USD) terminal strips could be used to make a few of them: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical ... 33982.html
Denivic
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Denivic »

Hello everyone,

So sorry but I haven't been on this forums in months, nor did I read enough replies regrading this thread. However, I do have a few questions regrading the new designed. I read manufacturing these scanner should keep the cost below $500, and it should weight less that 70lbs;nevertheless, do we have the actual cost to date and total weight for the most current designed build? Also, commuting with this scanner is my biggest concerned. I live in FL and I need to travel by plane with two of these scanner to NYC. Next, I would have to commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan everyday with the two scanners by bus and train and I hope carrying these suckers are manageable?

What's the easy of disassembling and assembling these scanners day in and day out?

Can I manager two scanners on the busy over crowded streets of NYC?

Sorry if someone ask these questions prior.

Regards,
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Hi Denivic,

Well, the wood weighs in at 36 pounds. I should know, I've shipped enough of them! Add maybe 10-15 pounds for the cameras, glass, light, cables, and assorted hardware, and we're right around 50 pounds. Two scanners would be 100 pounds. The film industry regularly carries this sort of weight around in crates. I think if you custom make a crate, or find a nice one that fits two scanners, you can easily get it on a train and over the sidewalks. I doubt you'd get it on a bus, though.

Once you know how, you can build and tear down a scanner in about 1/2 hour or less if you bring along a power screwdriver (add another 10 pounds!)

As for cost, it's really hard to say at this point. Since I have access to a CNC, my cost is much less than someone else who doesn't have access, or has access but someone charges them to do the actual work. I also use a high-quality plywood, which makes things more expensive, too. Then there is the shipping from different places involved in gathering all the parts. Plus the cameras and cards. The kind I've chosen to work with, the Sony DSC-WX10 (16 MP, manual focus) costs $240 each, and two EyeFi cards at $45 each, so the cameras and cards alone gets to $525.

Hope that helps!

--Rob
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
bambamlatino
Number of books owned: 0

Post by bambamlatino »

I have been watching on this thread for a pretty long time, credits to everyone here who have made daniel's fantastic work become better!
Anyway I noticed that there has been a lack of information on how to mount the trigger onto the camera support. The trigger build is good and I suppose it works but the base is pretty small about 6cm by 3cm.

My solution- which doesnt work
I thought of drilling a hole right through the 2 piece but it a little small to drill the hole, might even break the piece.
The drilling point is from the base of the 2 thin piece of wood that holds the trigger to the base of the whole thing. It is about 5.5 cm, after which I will lock it in by drilling a hold in the camera support and tighten it with a nut and screw.

Any suggestions guys ?