A3+ scanner build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

tilen
Number of books owned: 0

A3+ scanner build

Post by tilen »

Hello, i'm just finishing building my A3+ scanner. I had some problem with lighting but i (think ;) ) sort it out. So, scanner can scan A2 book (page A3 - 420mm x 297mm), for now i'm using canon eos d5 markII but in the future i'm intendt to buy two canon powershoot.

My english is not so gut, so if anyone has some questions can ask an i will try tu ansered it. ;)

here are some pics more to come.
Attachments
20150227_120710.jpg
20150227_120651.jpg
20150227_120643.jpg
20150227_120637.jpg
today i will replace glass with antireflex glass
today i will replace glass with antireflex glass
murgen
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: A3+ scanner build

Post by murgen »

This machine is a real beauty.

What is the bugdet for it and how many hours ?
tilen

Post by tilen »

thanks, hmmmm, budget for this "machine" i don't know exactly only lamps (light bulb) are 40€ each, i got two of them, for sceleton i used some "leftovers" from other project, cradle also from leftovers, then is the glass, i think it's about 5€ each.... about hours i think it was finished in about 14 day, but i'm still upgrading it. Just now i replaced the cradle and glass from 90 degres to 100 degres... I have a little bit problem with lighting... i tested from LED reflectors to halogen lamps...

So i really can't tell you how much money and houers i spent building it. Much information i get on thic forum (tnx guys ;) )
tilen

Post by tilen »

Here are some new pics...
Attachments
20150302_122249.jpg
20150302_122235.jpg
20150302_122214.jpg
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

This is very beautiful. The more designs I see using metal extrusion, the more I like that style of construction.

You didn't mention exactly what your lighting problems were, but most lighting problems can be solved by pulling the lights further away from the platen/page. Try to re-arrange your devices so that you can lift the lights more and you will probably be happier with the results.

Best of luck. :)
tilen

Post by tilen »

hy, i have problems with lighting becaus a want to picture to bi olmost perfect, therefore the post-processing is easyer and quicker, i want page to be even lighted, no black corners and so.... I am trying diferent lamps and difrend focuses, defusers.... That's why i have problems :D

Lp
dpc

Post by dpc »

Moving the light farther away from the page can actually help with this. Yes, the intensity of the light hitting the page will be less, but the page will be more evenly lit.
tilen

Post by tilen »

Thanks for your post, i've already solved it ;). Like you sead i moved light (now its only one - i bought LED panel for street light :D ) higher and i made (don't know how to say) somthing to block light where i don't want to be light.... Me and my english :oops: pics are coming soon...

Lp
tilen

Post by tilen »

So, here are some pics of almost finished, now i must do a black wall around...
Attachments
20150304_125216.jpg
dpc

Post by dpc »

Those light shields are simply referred to as "barn doors". They should be painted flat black because they can contribute to your overall light width and height. The light width determines how high the light must be located above the platen in order to prevent it from being reflected on the platen surface and into the camera lens (i.e. glare). Realize that as far as reflection is concerned, it's whatever is visible (i.e. lighted) that would need to be raised higher to avoid being reflected off the platen. That includes the sides of your barn doors. The light height is effectively the lowest edge of the barn door and not the glowing LED within the light fixture. Painting these barn doors black can mitigate this somewhat.

It also looks like you've moved your camera mount higher and used a longer mounting bar to allow the camera to move farther back. Some basic trigonometry reveals that given a 100 degree platen angle and the requirement of being able to photograph a page that is almost 12 inches wide (A3), the camera will need to be located approximately 34 inches away from the platen surface to prevent seeing a reflection of the adjacent platen in the shot. This distance can be decreased by increasing the platen angle but by doing so the light will have to be moved even higher to avoid reflecting off the platen surface and into the camera lens. It's a trade-off between camera distance, light distance, light width, and platen angle.

When chasing down reflection artifacts it's helpful to put a piece of black paper under the platen as this will show reflections especially well. You may find the need to cover/paint some of your scanner's inner aluminum frame members with black to prevent inter-reflections.

I realize that English isn't your native language so I can post some diagrams of what I've described above if that would help to explain the concepts.