PVC Tubing Cube

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

geaplanet
Number of books owned: 0

PVC Tubing Cube

Post by geaplanet »

Hi, I hadn't all ingredients for building the great Davidlandin scanner and I improvised this:

murgen
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: PVC Tubing Cube

Post by murgen »

It is very interessting as a model, is it plexigass ? I would like to see more details on the fixation.

There is no real craddle but 2 separates free parts of it, this will impact the stability of the location of the image. The book will move, the craddles may move.
You may fix that with moving the cropping zone and orientation at edition time, but warping type and location of the warping in the text will shift and thus the nature of the warping will mutate during the scan. This is hard work to restore. What ever warping effect you have in your images, it is best to have it always at the same place, so that to make corrections standard.

I think the craddle should be placed on a flat surface and the surface on wheels. While you turn the pages of the book, since the plexisgas fall always at the same fixed spot, they force the craddle (on wheels) to move every page a bit to the right and this set the book the best into the craddle. Fix the craddle with a rail or spindle.

having said that, if you don't want a craddle, you could put 2 cords or spindle through the base of the 2 half craddles and when the cord join opposites sides of the structures in order to fix the 2 parts of the craddle in the same axis.

Another solution would be to fix the PVC pipe that bear the plexiglass into a smaller one so that the plexiglass is a bit mobile and adapt to a fixed craddle.

Edit : I re-re-re view the images again and again, the concept remains brilliant and promising.
geaplanet

Post by geaplanet »

Yes it is plexiglass, but I'm two platen (one with plexiglass and other with glass) because plexiglass scratches easily.
The craddle is not in the photos, but I will use the same used in David Landin model, I have a provisional cardboard with some grooves now.

I found two problems in this model. You have to take into account the size of the plexiglass because it is limited by the distance to the cameras, if it is too width, could hit the cameras when you raise it. Although you can always play with the altitude of the cameras easily and with the optical zoom (and you could have two or three plexiglass sizes depending on the size of the book and plug it when you need).

And the second is the glass fixation. Now I have a provisional thick cardboard and works well with the glued hinges, but it could be a piece of wood with a pair of grooves.I really do not know what would be the best way to fix the glass to the mechanism. Any idea?

dpc

Post by dpc »

Thanks for posting. It's always interesting to see new scanner designs.

Do your scanned images have uneven lighting from only having a single light mounted near one end of the book? Have you tried scanning a completely white page and looked at the pixel values from the top of the page compared to the bottom? How much difference is there?
geaplanet

Post by geaplanet »

dpc,
I thought the same as you, for that reason I made a cube with pipes, to put an extra lamp in the bar that is above my head.

But in practice, I have noticed that if you have enough power is not necessary even the light only comes from one direction. But if you have more points of light better than good.

Is there other extra pipe in the estructure, as you can see here:
myfreeocr

Post by myfreeocr »

Placing the Book between two different layers is Not a good choice. If you could invert the Setup by keeping the book on top and The cameras and lights below. You can save a lot of time when turning pages, As in this setup you have to remove the Glass covering the book to turn the pages. As Murgen(I dont know ho to Tag someone as I am new to this forum) Suggested that the book will move. If you fit that glass in the top middle of the frame(In inverted manner of the Original setup) The book will be stabilized properly by its own weight and it will not slip off because of the Conical shape of the glasses(you can even that Joint angle from 90 degree to 120 increasing exposure to the camera and more straight shots).
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need a sandwich at all. You could just hold the book while you scan. But the platen-and-cradle design works very well and is much faster than trying to scan the upside-down book from below. Lifting an upside down book and turning pages is awkward. And not being able to see the spread when taking a picture is unfortunate.

Having said that, use whatever bookholding works best for you. And the platen-and-cradle completely fails on some books, especially small normally-closed paperbacks. On those, the book snaps shut every time you lift the platen and it will drive you insane. :)

-D
miharix

Post by miharix »

Hi,

I'm planing to build a scanner to scan my collection of magazine named TIM([Slo]Tehnika In mladi - [Eng]Tehnology and young people)
it is a technical magazine containing a lot of technical plans(mostly model making)
and scanning has to be non destructive(magazines are since 1963 till now and not all mine)

Would you say that your type of book scanner would be a good way for my scanning?

Did you use the dimensions from Davidlandin scanner or how did you define your pipe lengths?