Archivist: Putting a black Cardboard on the Glassplates to separate pages

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

TeAge1
Number of books owned: 0

Archivist: Putting a black Cardboard on the Glassplates to separate pages

Post by TeAge1 »

Hey Guys!
i searched for the forum but didn't find that idea, so i thought maybe you like it. Scantailor always had the problem of not knowing where the end of the page is. I fixed it with a little piece of Cardboard. As you can see on the pic, the middle-section of the book is now clearly cut away and black.

Greets
Tobi
Attachments
20160330_191614 (Medium).jpg
20160330_191608 (Medium).jpg
136.jpg
Last edited by TeAge1 on 30 Mar 2016, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Archivist: Putting a black Cardboard on the Glassplates to separate pages

Post by duerig »

I think this is a good idea. There are three ways to sharpen it that I can see.

First, you might consider using non-black tape and using a different color on each side. The non-black tape might allow you to automatically detect where the center tape is (as opposed to the background) automatically and therefore automatically crop the page off at the right place. The two different colors would mean that one camera's pictures would crop at (say) bright red and the other would crop at (say) bright green. So each camera could auto crop using the color on the plate it faces.

The second is that you could put the tape only towards one end or the other instead of all the way across. Then you crop along the line of the edge of the tape. This way you are not impinging on the text of the book if it is close to the gutter with the tape.

Finally, you should take a look at cling vinyl. This is a plastic film that sticks to glass via static electricity and can be moved/removed easily without leaving a mark. So it wouldn't move easily if the scanner is bumped. But it would not leave any sticky residue like tape would.

If I ever have time, I want to follow up on ideas like this. Sometimes the best way to be clever is to give hints while scanning so that the software that processes it afterwards has an easier job.

-D