Mattias Hovgard's Automatic Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

sampablokuper
Number of books owned: 2000

Mattias Hovgard's Automatic Book Scanner

Post by sampablokuper »

Just came across this scanner while browsing the Web. I don't think it has been discussed here so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cezxZrbQms8

I like the apparent simplicity and robustness of the page turn mechanism. However, it does seem to be reliant upon the book not spontaneously closing.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Mattias Hovgard's Automatic Book Scanner

Post by duerig »

It doesn't seem like it would work with every book, but it looks like a great idea. It might be doable to adapt an existing Archivist or Archivist Quill to do something like that. I suppose the biggest question would be how reliable it is and how many torn pages. The trickiest thing about any automatic system is getting from a 99% solution that still might accidentally double flip from time to time to a 100% solution.

Just as a general rule, the glass platen designs with cradles typically don't work very well on books that flip close on their own. Trying to scan a mass market paperback with an Archivist or Archivist Quill is just an exercise in frustration. It seems like you'd need a whole different design, maybe based on something like the new Non-destructive Guillotine to really get a good solution for small books.

-D
recaptcha
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Mattias Hovgard's Automatic Book Scanner

Post by recaptcha »

duerig wrote:
Just as a general rule, the glass platen designs with cradles typically don't work very well on books that flip close on their own. Trying to scan a mass market paperback with an Archivist or Archivist Quill is just an exercise in frustration. It seems like you'd need a whole different design, maybe based on something like the new Non-destructive Guillotine to really get a good solution for small books.

-D
Thanks Jonathan. That's good to know, since I have a lot of mass market pocket paperback books. I guess I'll need to consider other designs, or maybe even a flatbed scanner.