Aluminum pipe scanner (just an idea)

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

SHU

Aluminum pipe scanner (just an idea)

Post by SHU »

Hello.

This is the first time I am posting in this forum.
Therefore, if I say anything rude or against the rules, please point it out. Also, my writing relies on translation applications, and I apologize if that makes it difficult for you to understand what I am trying to say.

What I would like to know is if my new idea of a DIY Book Scanner is going to work well or not. I used "DesignSpark Mechanical" to draw it, but I have very little knowledge of drafting, so think of it as a simple rough sketch.
AlpipeBookScanner.png
Here are some additional details about which objects correspond to which parts of the scanner and how they work.

Black and silver objects: aluminum pipes and connectors. I'm going to buy them from this online storehttps://store.g-fun.jp/item/serieslist.php?Series=N. This store has a wide variety of parts, including acrylic plate holders and connectors that slide and rotate on the pipe. I intend to use these to enable parallel movement of the cradles and vertical movement of the platens, which is necessary for the DIY Book Scanner. However, the task of reproducing all these on a 3D drawing would be too much work, so my rough sketches are all represented by the same kind of pipes and connectors. Sorry for the confusion...

Brown objects: these are the wooden bottom plate and cradle. The size of the bottom plate is 420mm x 500mm. The size of the cradles is 300mm x 210mm each. These are set up to handle an A4 size book. I assume that by adjusting the length of the pipe that supports the cradle, it is possible to achieve about 110 degrees. Also, by connecting this pipe to a parallel pipe fixed to the bottom plate with a sliding connector, it will be possible to adjust the distance between the cradles according to the thickness of the book and to keep the center of the book directly under the platen as the pages progress.

White and pink objects: these are platens made of acrylic plates and hinges. The size of the platens is also 300mm x 210mm. Since the operator uses one hand to take pictures and turn pages, the platen needs to be able to be operated with one hand during that time. Many ideas solve this problem with a leverage structure. In my idea, the platen can be opened and closed from about 180 degrees to about 90 degrees by connecting the acrylic plates with hinges. At this time, both ends of the acrylic panels are held by pipes with sliding and rotating connectors, which allow the platen to move up and down (just like pulling on the ends of a book raises the center of the book). In order to adjust the height of the platen to the book, the pipe supporting the platen must also be able to move up and down. However, since this adjustment only needs to be done once when each books are first set up, I think that this pipe can be fixed with a bracket.

Blue and Green objects: These are cameras and platforms. By the way, when you consider the overall cost of purchase and image quality, which is better, a smartphone camera or a digital camera? I know there is already a thread for discussion.... For now, I'm going to use a digital cameras, which can be purchased for about $50.

Yellow objects: This is a light.

I know there are already a lot of good ideas on this forum (e.g., "Archivist," "PVC pipe scanner," "Tower scanner," etc.). These are great inventions, and at first I thought of building a scanner according to them. But now it's hard to get an "Archivist" kit, isn't it? Also, this scanner needs to be reasonably large and expensive to be of great quality. And in the area where I live, aluminum pipes are probably more readily available than PVC pipes. In addition, aluminum pipes are easy to assemble and disassemble with a hexagonal wrench, thus making it easier to recover if something goes wrong. This is important for a DIY beginner like me.

The drawing I made may be vague on some important points. Therefore, you may point out that you cannot determine the possibility of my scanner working. If I can answer your question, I will add the necessary information, and I would appreciate it if you would kindly guide me.

The above mentioned stores have (free!) technical support. If I prepare a simple drawing beforehand, they will be able to give me a more appropriate drawing and suggest the parts I need for DIY. In my plan, I will first brush up on my ideas by consulting this forum. After that, if necessary, I will have the above store draw up my idea as a formal drawing.

Sorry for the long text. Please help me out.
Attachments
AlpipeBookScanner (3D).pdf
(95.71 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
gongjie
E-book readers owned: adobe
Number of books owned: 500

Re: Aluminum pipe scanner (just an idea)

Post by gongjie »

Very good.I am also building my DIY scanner, also made of aluminum tubes
SHU

Re: Aluminum pipe scanner (just an idea)

Post by SHU »

Thank you! I'm glad to have a comrade like you.
It would be great if you could post your ideas (or finished products) as well.

In particular, how do you design the structure of the cradle and platen?