Clarifications on PVC Scanner with 100deg Glass Platen

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jcvancouverdiy
Number of books owned: 90

Clarifications on PVC Scanner with 100deg Glass Platen

Post by jcvancouverdiy »

Hi all,

I'm working to build David Landin's PVC Scanner https://www.instructables.com/Book-Scan ... ages-an-h/ right now. This has taken a lot more time than a weekend since I'm very green when it comes to DIY projects. I've only cut and assembled the PVC Pipe Frame so far.

I'm currently stuck on the platen and cradle. The original instructions call for an acrylic platen that forms an internal 90deg, along with a cradle that is also 90deg. However, after browsing the previous forum threads viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3647&sid=04280a8f8 ... 24be92dc24 that discuss this issue, the platen needs to be around 100-110 to prevent the reflection of the opposing platen. After learning this, I decided to go with glass as it appears to be cheaper, and a framing shop would likely help me mieter out the edges to achieve that 100deg (as opposed to painstakingly sawing my acrylic).

I have two questions for our lovely members:

How do I hold the two pieces of platen together? Do I need to build a frame that supports the perimeter of the platen, or can I go with David's original set up, to drill a hold in the center edge of the glass and have this be supported on the frame using t-plates?

How would I modify the cradle to match the angle of the 100deg platen?

T-Plate picture

Thank you in advance!
jackson