Ultra Lost Cost Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Ultra Lost Cost Scanner

Post by Konos93a »

i am very happy because u are ,after a lot of time around here , a dude that not only made questions but actually tried to made something .

i send you on private messages my fb account and my number if u ever wanna have a video call on watch up to ask more questions and explain u some technologies and design about book scanning . i will not ask u any money for any of these calls or any information , i will not try to sell u anything .
i will just help u with your design.

for your deign . u will have issues because the first page will be bigger than the last page . the first page is more near to the lens than the last page .
calibrate with a small mirror the camera exactly opposite from the book .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PodyJVMFxg around 0.55 minute i explain the trick with the mirror .

upload please the script u made and the code u use.

mine for 2 chdk camera canon a3300 is this. i start and make zoom and i have electic trigger to capture and liveview from the same port .

--[[
@title AutoStart
@chdk_version 1.3

@param step Zoom Position (step)
@default step 0
@range step 0 12

--]]

sleep(1000)
set_console_layout(0, 1, 48, 16)

if autostarted() then
print("autostarting")
sleep(2000)
end

if ( get_mode() == false ) then -- switch to shooting mode
set_record(1)
while ( get_mode() == false) do sleep(100) end
sleep(1000)
end

set_zoom(step)
print("zoom step="..step)
sleep(1000)
print("autostart complete")
exit_alt()
sleep(500)
nightshift
E-book readers owned: Nook Glowlight 4, Kindle Fire 5th gen
Number of books owned: 100

Post by nightshift »

trying again, I tried to reply and server didn't like something

The problem of the first page being larger than the last page is something all the single camera scanners have (except the tower scanner that I think BillGill made). Having a fixed platen to camera distance really is something that I'd like, but with basically building this from my recycling bin and using ambiant/fixed lighting, it would just not have been feasible (too many moving parts for the materials to move the cradle, and too much structure for the materials to replicate the tower option plus would have needed additional lighting). I'll take a look at your video to see if it's possible to integrate the mirror.

Apparently the software isn't allowing the code to be pasted in, I keep getting errors with and without the code tag, so, going to try attaching as a txt file. This code must be used within chdkptp (the desktop ptp extension that works with chdk enabled cameras) running in gui mode. It also only works with a single camera, but could, potentially be modified to work with the multicam module, that just isn't something I could test. It does assume you are running on a *nix operating system, so you'd probably have to modify the save path if you're on windows and possibly macos.
Attachments
bookscan.txt
(5.62 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

do u have good experience with chdkptp ? for some reason when i was testing it i was getting connectivity error between windows pc and chdk

match size scaling (fit the same size all the pages ) is something some version of scan tailor can do .
but still the longer page will have less resolution .

the trick of the mirror is something that should be done on the first time if it is not exactly on the center is still good
are u programmer or something ?
upload a scanned page
i think i found you on reddit send u a pm there
nightshift

Post by nightshift »

I'm not on reddit, don't even have an account.

I haven't had any problems with chdkptp on linux, other than occasionally having other software trying to take control of it. The documentation for chdkptp (on the assembla - similar to github - project site) tells you how to fix this. The chdkptp developer is on irc (libera.chat network, #chdk channel) for help. I do write code, but mostly for fun, lua, and the functions of chdk and chdkptp are a new language for me, so his (I'm assuming, like me, user name is genderless and seems to prefer being fairly anonymous online) help was invaluable.

I am shooting some calibration images - I created a page that has a known size middle grey square, surrounded by a larger known size black square and I place that and shoot it - occasionally, because I understand the limitations of not having a fixed camera to platen distance. But, like I said, I really can't make such a scanner within my budget (and, everything is personal use anyway, I'll manage with what I get).

I don't currently have any images to upload, did one scan and wanted to make some changes, so what I have would not be representative of this final setup.

My setup, even if I had the 90° cradle instead of the 100° is far from perfect, there are reasons there are so many different designs for single camera, and reasons why most of the 2 camera designs all look virtually the same, but, it is mostly working for me (I'll have a better idea in a day or two, about to start the first of probably 4 shooting sessions on an 800ish page book).
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

can u use chdkptp for liveview ? do u have a delay ?

find me here if u want a video call to explain better some parts of book scanning
Last edited by Konos93a on 17 Mar 2024, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
nightshift

Post by nightshift »

In general, there is no noticiable delay on the live view (again, I'm only testing with a single camera). The window is very small, though, roughly is the same physical size the the LCD on the back of my "bridge" type camera (aka, a point and shoot that has some additional programming that lets it occasionally pretend it is a DSLR), I made a screen recording showing me adjusting my calibration page - there is a small amount of delay and stutter in the recording mostly as a result of running the screen capture PLUS chdkptp PLUS having several other things open, those go away without the screen record, or if I had closed some of the other things. Unfortunately I can not attach the video, and don't have a youtube account that I want to expose here.

Any delay is still usable for aligning your book in the scanner view, as you show in your video by using the shaded boxes to make sure the text lines are straight. I will acknowledge, chdkptp is not necessarily the best program for remote shooting especially if you use windows where there are a lot of good programs that are built over top of chdkptp (or, using the same basic camera interaction scripts) and are fully intended to be used in 2 camera setups. If your existing software stack is working for you, I wouldn't change it. There are fewer options for linux users though, and that is why I am using chdkptp.

I prefer all interactions to be in a "public" venue - here on the forum, in a chat room (welcome to join me in #chdk on irc network Libera.Chat, but, it's limited to discussion on canon cameras using chdk and chdkptp except where you are discussing what you are taking pictures of and your workflow as it relates to those topics), a discord server if there is an appropriate one, etc.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYIL-p9ET4k&t

check this video also about how to give power instead of batteries on camera and how i have electric trigger and liveview from the same port

if u want stable distance between glass camera (you will need it in the future )take a wooden panel thick 1 cm make a Π shape or a cut inside while you have 5 cm each side . u will have a window panel .use thick double tape . put the wooden panel between 2 tables and put down the camera .
nightshift

Post by nightshift »

I think maybe there is language barrier issues here... im not looking for ideas or tips on how to further improve my setup, im acknowledging it's limitations and admitting that while I'd love to have certain features, they aren't possible with what im working with.

I switched to liveview/remote shooting because I'd have to buy materials/equipment for an electric trigger and a mechanical wouldn't work because of the "hump" the flash causes (I probably could have salvaged what was necessary to make one). I only actually use live view to make sure nothing moved between shoot sessions.

The battery issue, yes, I should buy (and wait for shipping) the coupler device (my camera uses a slim lithium-ion battery, not easy to diy a connection to main electrical), if I was going to be scanning a LOT of books, it would be a worthwhile purchase, but, by the time I exhaust a battery, I need to take a break anyway (I'm old and broken in a way that can't be fixed from doing manual labor for work). If my system allowed the 600+ pages per hour that some of the other single camera scanners allow, it might also be worth it.

As for fixing the camera to platen length and pushing the book to the platen, I understand how to do it, it's just not possible with the materials I have - remember, I'm using cardboard because it's what I have, for various reasons I don't have a shop with a ton of scrap wood and random bolts and screws as well as all the tools needed to cut, drill, shape, etc. It would be nice, but I don't have the ability to get it all quickly. In my case, ultra-low-cost means "not spending any money if you already have a camera, a tripod or way to mount the camera" not "not spending anything if you have a wood or metal shop and a bunch of scrap wood or pipe and already have a camera"
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

still u probably can use this glass to scan simultaneously 2 pages rather than one .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbI5FLa_SW4
i asked there for the glass thickness i dont know how much dangerous it is to break the glass.

ok scan a few books to see and if you are satisfied with chptk .
for many reason avoid a mechanical trigger . reflection and moved camera in each picture.i have used this method on my first 50 books.

if you will scan english books u will have very good ocr rather than other languages . i scan in greek so i try to make black and white good looking pages. u probably dont need that .

u already made something to scan books . even the page scaling can be fixed with a little python . or scan tailor experimental
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

in this type of scanner lets say u have a book of 302 pages

imagine that u start to scan from 1 to 301 for the odd pages .
the more u scan the smaller the context look .

now lets say u scan the odd pages from 302 to 2 for the even .
the more u scan the smaller the context look .

but now see 207 page number 209 page number will have similar size on the page context but what about 207 and 208 .

still since u are from usa and u scan english book if you are interested for text only not images the ocr results will be ridiculously good .