Clemd's DIY build in photos

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

spamsickle

Re: Clemd's DIY build in photos

Post by spamsickle »

Hey, Drake Ravensmith, do you have a link for the 7" monitors you had originally planned to use? I've been satisfied with the rotating LCDs on the back of my cameras, but I have to admit all these professional looking setups are starting to make me salivate a little.
TomHorsley

Post by TomHorsley »

I don't know about using separate monitors just for the cameras. I'm planning on someday getting one of these:

http://store.bluecherry.net/products/PV ... PS%29.html

And fiddling with my software to show the live video in between showing the most recently
captured photos. So I'll have everything on my main computer screen which is also my
46" hdtv when I'm not actually watching TV.

(But I figure that can wait a while, I want everything else to work before I fool with frills like video capture cards).
Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

It was always the plan. I promise :D
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Haha, it wasn't my intention to imply that you never planned to get them, just hoping to get an idea of where a good deal might be. Upon reading more closely, however, I see that you got the "really cheap" deal with the panels you DID buy, so I guess I should do my own searches.

Although, Tom Horsley's suggestion to get a video capture card and just use that with the computers I already own seems like it might be the most sensible solution. I like the modular multitasking approach of not dedicating hardware and space to a scanner, which is part of the reason I'm using tripods. I might try that before I get dedicated monitors...
Drake Ravensmith

I'm not sure what happened here. When I said it was always the plan it was in response to Daniel's and Clemends suggestions to show pics of my build. I have no idea how that ended up two more posts down. The monitors I was looking at originally were nothing more complicated than these little TVs. They have AV in, camera mounts on the bottom, and best of all they get returned to Amazon a lot because the antenna reception is horrible. They regularly have them Like New in the Warehouse deals section for 42 a piece. Which is the super cheap deal I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLT71-7-Inc ... =pd_cp_e_0

Clemend, I though you got your monitors from He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named, aka Univershul?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Drake Ravensmith wrote: Clemend, I though you got your monitors from He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named, aka Univershul?
Ha ha. Yeah, that's him, he has a new identity. It's the address he used when he signed up here the second time (which didn't go as well as it might have). I still want to keep that unfortunate situation out of our daily lives/discussion here, and keep things positive, open, and productive (as they always are, thanks to our great people) but I'm not going to remove his email address or anything. I bought things from him and so did others here, and it was all fine and worth the money.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

daniel_reetz wrote:Ha ha. Yeah, that's him, he has a new identity. It's the address he used when he signed up here the second time (which didn't go as well as it might have). I still want to keep that unfortunate situation out of our daily lives/discussion here, and keep things positive, open, and productive (as they always are, thanks to our great people) but I'm not going to remove his email address or anything. I bought things from him and so did others here, and it was all fine and worth the money.
Yeah, that's him...he's been a great help in using the closed source software i use. As far as the monitors go, mine might be coming up for sale...bracket included, as I've found a 15 inch monitor I'm going to try out. If it works, look out for my monitors on the Agora page.
Drake Ravensmith

Everybody is trying to keep me in debt. Do you have a time frame on when you might know either way? If so, do you think I could beg for first refusal?
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Drake Ravensmith wrote:Everybody is trying to keep me in debt. Do you have a time frame on when you might know either way? If so, do you think I could beg for first refusal?
Sure, I'll give you right of first refusal. I'll know by the end of next week...hopefully. Stay tuned! Pricing around $130...comes with two separate power bricks and custom bracket. (shipping included).
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

daniel_reetz wrote:
Drake Ravensmith wrote: Clemend, I though you got your monitors from He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named, aka Univershul?
Ha ha. Yeah, that's him, he has a new identity. It's the address he used when he signed up here the second time (which didn't go as well as it might have). I still want to keep that unfortunate situation out of our daily lives/discussion here, and keep things positive, open, and productive (as they always are, thanks to our great people) but I'm not going to remove his email address or anything. I bought things from him and so did others here, and it was all fine and worth the money.
One of the sucky side-effects of the internet is that we can get so mad at each other without having the traditional mechanisms for reconciliation. Ferinstance, John Wayne and John McLaglen can have a homeric fistfight that ends with them both drunk and thick as thieves. Maybe that's not indicated here. I hold everyone in this community that Dan hosts in the highest regard, and I hope that I'm a well-mannered guest. Yet, I'd love to see peace break out here and i'll gladly do anything I can for peacemaking.