Noise in photos?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

ai4px
Number of books owned: 0

Noise in photos?

Post by ai4px »

This has probably been brought up before, but here goes... I have used 4 brands of point and shoot cameras. Kodak, Fuji, Canon, Nikon. My old 5mp kodak takes the pictures with the brightest colors and least noise bar none, alas it is only 5mp. I guess I'm lucky that it was my first digital camera and it was so good. Several years later, I bought a used 7mp fuji "dslr" format camera. It took noisy pictures.... despite it being 2mp larger, I still preferred the kodak. Recently when making my book scanner, I borrowed a 14mp nikon and it took washed out pictures no matter what I did on the adjustments side. In the end, I bought two older Canon A560's. They take pretty good pictures and have the remote shutter release with CHDK firmware. A coworker said he also had an older Kodak camera and was pretty amazed at the quality of pictures it took.

So, if I had my druthers, I wish a kodak had a remote shutter release, but cannon is 99% of what the kodak is. I'd (subjectively) rate the fuji at 80% and the nikon at 60% relative to a kodak P&S.

Are my observations on par with everyone else's?

Are the DSLR cameras any better?
pablitoclavito
E-book readers owned: Iliad
Number of books owned: 200

Re: Noise in photos?

Post by pablitoclavito »

Interesting article here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Noise-in-Y ... hotography

Some points I will remark:

4. Switch your camera's exposure to manual mode and adjust the settings which may introduce noise
In Canon Powershot A3200IS or A4000IS you can only choose the ISO.
Focus will be determined by the zoom you are using, and shutter speed depending on light conditions (more light=faster)
With A3200IS I take the photos with these values: f/5 and ISO 100, shutter speed depending on light around 1/25
With A4000IS: F/3.5, ISO 100 and shutter speed around 1/30, 1/40

I find the 10w LED lamp I have lacks light. I think I will get a 20W sooner or later.

6 Make your image as bright as possible
Again, you need a good light source

7. Avoid using digital zoom
In both my cameras you can "off" the digital zoom in the menu.

8. Keep your camera stored in a cool place before you use it
Well, you always learn something.
I wasn't going to store the cameras in the oven, but OK :D

"TIPS
Over time your camera's sensor quality will degrade naturally. A general estimate for high-end cameras is that it will take 100,000 photographs"

"Warnings
sometimes some measures you can take to reduce noise can reduce detail in your images, so deciding when it's pertinent to use it is important."
What do you think?

From the article, DSLR are better in this matter:
"Choose a camera with a larger sensor. The problem with smaller sensors is that the light sensors are closer together than in a larger sensor, and that means the electrons overheating corrupt them faster due to their closer proximity. A larger sensor means that electrons will have to travel farther before corrupting their neighbouring light sensors. Full frame sensors are perfect for reducing noise in your images. A DSLR or large-sensor compact camera such as one in "Four Thirds" format is much better than a compact camera, even one a few years newer, although a full-frame DSLR is better still, as fast wide-angle and prime lenses for it are more widely available and cheaper."
And I will add: they are also better because you can adjust more values manually
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Noise in photos?

Post by dpc »

Those are some of the reasons why I shelved my Canon Powershot A495 cameras and went with a pair of Canon T2i DSLRs.

You get manual control over everything. The lenses are much better. There's also a free SDK to control every aspect of the camera via USB to a PC, plus image preview on the PC's screen.

They are significantly more expensive (although the price of the T2i is falling with the recent release of the T4i) than using a digital compact camera, but buying these have solved all of my camera problems (fuzzy lenses, noisy images, poor CHDK support, etc.). Looking back, it has been one of my wiser purchases in book scanning.

At one point I was trying to come up with a single-camera scanner with the usual 'v' two-page platen where a rotating mirror would allow you to shoot both pages from one DSLR. I shelved that idea and just forked out another $500 for a second camera, but that might be an option for someone thinking about moving to a better camera that couldn't afford two of them.