PiScan 1.5, Canon, CHDK, "initializing usb capture failed"

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

theaegisarchive
E-book readers owned: 0
Number of books owned: 1700

PiScan 1.5, Canon, CHDK, "initializing usb capture failed"

Post by theaegisarchive »

Hi all. I'm wondering whether anyone with a grasp of these matters can help me, maybe even in a (paid!) one-on-one Zoom call or something.

I'm setting up my Archivist, purchased second-hand. It's got two Canon A2200 Powershots, each running an SD card initialized with CHDK. USB cables connect the camera to the Raspberry Pi, which is running PiScan 1.5. (I've also plugged a thumb drive in to the Pi for storage of the photos.)

Amid many reboots, and attempts, I have gotten a small number (<5) of successful photos taken, but most of the time, I get errors in one or both cameras. The most frequent are "capture failed" and "initializing usb capture failed."

It's very difficult, given this message, to know where in the chain the failure is occurring. I'd love some help from someone who knows their way around this software and hardware.

I am not adept with CHDK, Raspberry Pi, maker culture, or formatting SD cards. I just want a book scanner that works. (Also, given how low-traffic these forums are, is there a place online where folks are more actively discussing these issues in 2023?)

Thanks so much, either for suggestions in solving this error, or for any help in connecting me with someone who really knows their way around this, and is willing to help me in realtime.
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: PiScan 1.5, Canon, CHDK, "initializing usb capture failed"

Post by Konos93a »

hello you need to learn basics of mechanics,electronics and maybe some coding if you wanna build and use a diybookscanner ,even if you paid for one or not.there is not any solution around here that can work only because you paid for it. is a do it in your own stuff and people around here share their builds and thoughts even if there is no one around for any reason.
anyway

pi scan can capture about 900 pages per hour .it has many error and need around 10 minutes each time you begin to scan. this happen for canon a3300

you can use mechanical trigger to have 1200 pages per hour and no errors.do that if you wont have success with some of the bellow.
use electrical trigger with 5 volts and use auto_on.lua probably you will have somethings to change but i think is fine . you can do that with a2000 .you can have 1800 pages per hour. and is easier to have liveview with the a/v pin of the camera.
check the the first fou posts about chdk stuff you will need https://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewto ... 4&start=12

spend 10 minutes of your life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYIL-p9ET4k use the subitles

upload a photo of your scanner and one captured page of the book your scanned.