Fastest computer build for Scan Tailor?

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

dtic

Re: Fastest computer build for Scan Tailor?

Post by dtic »

Adam32, also what I wrote above: if what you plan to scan is mostly text (with some images/graphs here and there) then you'd go much faster if you 1. crop to whole book pages, 2. command line process all pages into black and white text with as many cores as you have and 3. go back and use QuickPicZone or something like it to redo only the pages with images/graphs.
Adam32
Number of books owned: 500

Post by Adam32 »

dtic wrote: That would be easier. If you have coded anything in autohotkey before you may be able to modify the parts of the code that covers 2 or 4 cores yourself to allow for 8 / 12 cores.
Any idea how to do that as it does not look obvious from the script?
dtic

Post by dtic »

No time to rewrite it so you're on your own for now.
Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

So is it just a matter of modding this?

Code: Select all

if cores = 2
{
a := xpages // 2	
b := xpages 
}
if cores = 4
{					;example 103 pages							
a := xpages // 4	 ; 25 
b := a * 2         ; 50
c := a * 3         ; 75
d := xpages        ; 103
dtic

Post by dtic »

Adam32 wrote:So is it just a matter of modding this?
That and other things. However I realized this script can now skip most issues with controlling the ST GUI and use command line processing instead so I did a quick rewrite after all, test drive this http://nod5.dcmembers.com/downloads/Sca ... 141108.zip and post feedback here if it works or if there are any issues.

The new version accepts any number of cores. Note: you must now use Scan Tailor Enhanced for it to work. See also the slightly changed instruction in the help popup window.
md5 hashes for the files in the zip
5b7599f7320f5033bfd94c6088c41dcd *ScanTailor_multi_core.ahk
47f1f16e1a6a3820dfc32069810f8ecd *ScanTailor_multi_core.exe
Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

Thanks for posting this new script.

I installed Scantailor enhanced and did some testing using method A and B. With both methods the script successfully divides the project into part files, however it does not process the part files automatically. It is always necessary to click on each partfile and manually start the process in Scantailor enhanced. Is it possible to automate this process?
dtic

Post by dtic »

Adam32 wrote:With both methods the script successfully divides the project into part files, however it does not process the part files automatically.
Are you absolutely certain? The script does not open any windows when processing, check the Task Manager if any scantailor-cli.exe processes get started. The progress bar tracks the number of newly outputted tif images so it can take some seconds before you see it progress.
Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

Yes I am completely certain. The Task Manager does not show any scantailor-cli.exe processes started. There are no Tif images outputted and the progress bar is on zero even after 20 minutes. The only way the progress bar starts to show is if I open up each part file and manually start the processing in Scantailor.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Adam32 wrote:Yes I am completely certain. The Task Manager does not show any scantailor-cli.exe processes started. There are no Tif images outputted and the progress bar is on zero even after 20 minutes. The only way the progress bar starts to show is if I open up each part file and manually start the processing in Scantailor.
Ok. Test these things:
1. Manually run scantailor-cli.exe with one of the script generated project files (part1.ScanTailor). The command line should look something like this:

"C:\program files\scan tailor\scantailor-cli.exe" --start-filter=6 "C:\folder\img\out\part1.ScanTailor" "C:\folder\img\out"
Does that work?

2. Open the .ahk file in a text editor. Add this as line 217 (right below "sleep 1000").

msgbox, Run "%st%" --start-filter=6 "%xdir%\part%a_index%.ScanTailor" ""%xdir%",,hide,xpid
Save and then run the .ahk, start processing and see what the popup messagebox says. Does it differ from the command line string you used in test 1? If so what is the difference (except the ",,hide,xpid" ending)?
Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

Thanks for helping with this
In test 1 it works perfect from the command line and starts generating images.

In test 2 the the popup message is exactly the same as the string in test 1 (except the ʺʺˏˏhideˏxpid ending.