Book Scan Wizard

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

JonEP

Re: Book Scan Wizard

Post by JonEP »

Hi Steve,

OK, I'm continuing to try this all out. Another question: you indicate that it's possible to work with L and R pages at once. However, when I set up a session I need to enter DPI, and invariably the DPIs differ by camera. I measure DPI using Tulon's method, ie., selecting five lines of text and seeing how many pixels are contained in that selection (I'm using photoshop to do it). So, my lefts are 195 px and my rights are 210. What to do?

Second related question: should I just dump the photos from each camera into a collective directory and let BSW sort it all out. So far that isn't working, but I couldn't figure out how to add two different directories when using the wizard.

Thanks,
J
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Post by steve1066d »

OK, I'm continuing to try this all out. Another question: you indicate that it's possible to work with L and R pages at once. However, when I set up a session I need to enter DPI, and invariably the DPIs differ by camera. I measure DPI using Tulon's method, ie., selecting five lines of text and seeing how many pixels are contained in that selection (I'm using photoshop to do it). So, my lefts are 195 px and my rights are 210. What to do?
Do this:

Code: Select all

Pages = left
SourceDPI = 195

Pages = right
SourceDPI = 210
You will probably want to also have a

ScaleToDPI which will scale them to the same size.

You know, that would be a good additional way to estimate DPI's through the application. I think I'll add a right click option to the viewer where it estimates DPI. For now, you can estimate it in the program itself by selecting the two points, then right click and choose copy. then paste it into the configuration. Then subtract the first y number from the second and you'll have the height of the selection.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Thanks! Quick follow up: my lefts and rights are coming out moderately messed up. I think it would be easier for me to use freecommander or similar app to label individual files 001r and 001l -- would it be possible to sort alphabetically by file name within BSW, or to otherwise assign L and R to a series of images? Sorry I'm pretty bad at reading directions, and don't have the patience to deal with working through and example project. Well, that is to say I didn't have the patience. I'm working on the example right now, to save wear and tear on this thread. Even so, if it's possible to manually assign Ls and Rs I'd be interested to know.

Thanks.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Hi, Using the example now, get the following error message upon opening book.bsw from examples: illegalargumentexception Crop (see attach 1)

OK'ing through, the first image is blank, then images after that are off center (see attach 2).

NOTE: seems like the first attachment appears at the bottom, followed by second...
Attachments
ScreenShot173.jpg
ScreenShot172.jpg
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I had made a change a couple of revisions ago that changed the coordinates from the "Rotate" command. I guess I need to go back and fix the example. for now, just remove the crops and perspectives and it should load ok.

Yes.. You've got a few options as far as left and right.

If they are all in one directory, it assumes they just go from left to right, one after the other. (using the LoadImages command).

If they are in separate directories, there's two ways of combining things.. with the ignore_times option it will also blindly go left to right. Without the option it will assume that both images were taking at the same time (without assuming that the cameras times are in sync).

If you have them all in one directory, with missing pages (like if you've already removed the blank pages), then you pretty much need to replace the missing pages for this to work.

Does that answer your questions?
Steve Devore
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Please let me know when my questions exhaust your patience.

So, I've got a directory in which the files are named 001l.jpg, 001r.jpg, etc.
ScreenShot175.jpg
ScreenShot175.jpg (147.86 KiB) Viewed 15200 times
But, when I access that directory using BSW, they do not come out as L,R,L,R,L,R ... rather, BSW lists files in an order that is almost correct, but which assigns L's and R's a bit oddly (ie., L,R,R,L,L,R,R,L,L,R,R, etc.) (attach 2 is a capture of the drop down of the pages).
ScreenShot174.jpg
(170.05 KiB) Downloaded 9491 times
Thanks for your help.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

That is weird.. I haven't seen that before, but I think I've got a guess on what is going on...

I'm using windows on a NTFS filesystem. NTFS always returns the list of files alphabetically. I'm guessing you have a FAT32 or maybe some other operating system.

I will add a sort in the next release (probably tonight). Though for now, if you could break the files up into left & right folders, that should work since the LoadLRImages does sort them already.
Steve Devore
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Hmm--that seems possible, I've got the files on a flash drive. I'll move them to my hard drive and see what happens. Thanks.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

OK, sorting is now working.

Regarding the DPI issue, you said:

Pages = left
    SourceDPI = 195

Pages = right
    SourceDPI = 210
I think you mean:

Pages = left
    SetSourceDPI = 195

Pages = right
    SetSourceDPI = 210
This worked for me.

Just figured out how to scroll in BSW help command pane.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Great!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Steve Devore