All threads that mention LiveCD/Linux development

We're working on a complete book scanning operating system, with all Free software. Discuss and help out here!

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

All threads that mention LiveCD/Linux development

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hi all,
Can you help me find all the threads on the forum about developing a book-scanning specific LiveCD?
strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Re: All threads that mention LiveCD/Linux development

Post by strider1551 »

Has there been that much discussion of a LiveCD, apart from threads about Linux-specific software?

The few threads I know of:
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

You know, I'm realizing that a lot of it hasn't been here on the forum. Rather it's been the dozens of people who, for whatever reason, prefer to email me privately and don't post the results here.

Which is why I just don't answer questions about book scanning via email anymore. Doesn't help anyone.

I'll do some searching and see what else I can pull up. User Benjamin had an install working at one point, and got the rights to post it. There have been others...
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad

Post by snaguy »

I am about to start an Ubuntu 10.10 32 and 64 bit live cd customised for post processing book scanning.

Why ubuntu 10.10?

Ubuntu is my favourite Linux distro, version 10.10 because it has the best compatibility with my macbookpro6.2. I don't see any benefits from ubuntu unity for book scanning. These will also run on my other computers, HP XW8200 Workstation, 2 x P4 custom builds, and Compaq D51S.

What to call this release? BSubuntu may be one choice but BS is often short for Bull Sh*t. So any suggestions would be welcome!

Software to include.
Scan Tailor - This will be easy as the packages are available.
BSW Book Scan Wizard - Need to check what Java requirements / packages are required.
djvubind, djvu viewer, plus other djvu tools.
PDF drivers and tools.
Open Office or Libre Office - not sure which one
File renaming software of some kind will be useful.

Any other requests or must haves please let me know.

What to exclude from the CD to make space? When I get to this point I will have a look at what can be chopped.

Where to host the CD images? Suggestions welcome.

Who wants to make a web page. I have no interest in web design and would like to concentrate my time on the Live CD and documentation.

People to test this. I will do some testing but will need other people to test as well.

Must have bookmarks and links.

Desktop wall paper / background. If you are a creative person and can make a nice wall paper it would be appreciated.

Instructions for live CD creation.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

It will be possible to make a usb live version from the CD.

This will be disk that can be run as a live session with out altering the hard drive. Also can be installed along side your current operating system as dual boot or replace your current operating system.

This will be a option that will not require a person to have an internet connection to do post processing for book scanning.

I am doing this because I believe too much effort is being put into reinventing the wheel. Hopefully this will help a lot of people and attention can be focused on support instead of recreation each time.

My friend has agreed to help me with this as he is a software engineer. I am an end user, tweaked, problem solver, Desktop Publisher, Production Digital Printer, Human Book Scanner! I will also need some help from you guy’s along the way.

I am hoping this will be complete before the end of the year. And of course this will be free!
snaguy

Post by snaguy »

I am about to start an Ubuntu 10.10 32 and 64 bit live cd customised for post processing book scanning.

Why ubuntu 10.10?

Ubuntu is my favourite Linux distro, version 10.10 because it has the best compatibility with my macbookpro6.2. I don't see any benefits from ubuntu unity for book scanning. These will also run on my other computers, HP XW8200 Workstation, 2 x P4 custom builds, and Compaq D51S.

What to call this release? BSubuntu may be one choice but BS is often short for Bull Sh*t. So any suggestions would be welcome!

Software to include.
Scan Tailor - This will be easy as the packages are available.
BSW Book Scan Wizard - Need to check what Java requirements / packages are required.
djvubind, djvu viewer, plus other djvu tools.
PDF drivers and tools.
Open Office or Libre Office - not sure which one
File renaming software of some kind will be useful.

Any other requests or must haves please let me know.

What to exclude from the CD to make space? When I get to this point I will have a look at what can be chopped.

Who wants to make a web page. I have no interest in web design and would like to concentrate my time on the Live CD and documentation.

People to test this. I will do some testing but will need other people to test as well.

Must have bookmarks and links.

Desktop wall paper / background. If you are a creative person and can make a nice wall paper it would be appreciated.

Instructions for live CD creation.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

It will be possible to make a usb live version from the CD.

This will be disk that can be run as a live session with out altering the hard drive. Also can be installed along side your current operating system as dual boot or replace your current operating system.

This will be a option that will not require a person to have an internet connection to do post processing for book scanning.

I am doing this because I believe too much effort is being put into reinventing the wheel. Hopefully this will help a lot of people and attention can be focused on support instead of recreation each time.

My friend has agreed to help me with this as he is a software engineer. I am an end user, tweaked, problem solver, Desktop Publisher, Production Digital Printer, Human Book Scanner! I will also need some help from you guy’s along the way.

I am hoping this will be complete before the end of the year. And of course this will be free!
scann

Post by scann »

Hi!

I don't use Ubuntu, I use debian/squeeze, but maybe I can help with your to-do list.

I've been using the following software:

gscan2pdf - it helps you with the 'text under image' or to make your PDF searcheable.
ocropus, tesseract and gocr for OCR
OCRFeeder is also an option, it gives you back OCR in ODT, XML or HTML format, but it doesn't work for making your PDF searcheable

for scanning I use "simplescan", but maybe there are things better than that, I don't really know.

for making your pdf searcheable there's also these one which I haven't tried yet: http://www.exactcode.de/site/open_sourc ... /hocr2pdf/

let me know if there's a way which I can help. I don't nothing about cameras, programming, software or engineering... i'm just a simple end-user, but maybe there's a way which I can help.
snaguy

Post by snaguy »

I recently received my Ubuntu magazine and saw the communtu details. This will make this project a lot easier.

http://en.communtu.org/
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

Why take a cd, just make it an DVD with all the goodies you can think of. Burning a 20 cent dvd against a 10 cent cd.
Or make it an installer, the installer can be a mere 20 Mb and people download everything from the Ubuntu archives and other website's by themselves.

And for hosting, your own suggestion from August 23 is an excellent idea. If the persons (members) who can help you with the project sign up with that side, I think the site administrator will give a webpage of your own. Because this subject has also followers in Germany. Those guys maybe will help making the complete dvd with all the necessary additional software. And there will be persons who will test the installation.

I would like to help testing but I don't have any programming skills. So I only can comment like: Ït doesn't install this or that. Here are the error messages, if any will show up.

My Ubuntu skills are: choose a program and let Ubuntu do the rest.

Traveller

PS I already signed up with the site, to see what is needed for making a dvd.
the.traveller

Post by the.traveller »

snaguy wrote:What to call this release? BSubuntu may be one choice but BS is often short for Bull Sh*t. So any suggestions would be welcome!
What do you think of:
Linux on documents v 10.10 (LOD v10.10)
or
Ubuntu on documents v 10.10 (UoD v 10.10)

I specialy refer to documents because one can scan all kind of papers. Not only books.
And in this way there will be no bullshit from moralists who think book scanning is illegal.
the.traveller

Post by the.traveller »

@Snaguy
I've visited the Communtu site. Interesting, maybe this is also interesting for others.

There are 3715 pages with names of packages which can be put into an bundle. I took some of them to show you and others as a reference of possibilities.

I looked to the first 75 pages and here is the result.
-------------------------
software for literature
Bundle created by toddyhb compose a new message

In this bundle you find a software to manage the literatur in a database. You also have a program to make a glossar and a program to link to documents.
----------------------------------
Pdf
Bundle created by admin

Tools for reading, creating and editing PDF documents. Adobe Reader is included because the document viewer evince produces poor output. psutils is useful for batchwise working when postscript is given.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading texts
Bundle created by admin

Tools for displaying pdf files and gs files.
------------------------------------------------------
camorama

Programm: yes Popularity: 3.5/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section universe/gnome

Weblinks:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Webcam

Description:
gnome utility to view and save images from a webcam Camorama is a small utility to view and save images from a webcam or any other Video4Linux device. It can apply a number of image filters and make remote captures.
-------------------------------------
pdfedit

Programm: yes Popularity: 3.3/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section universe/utils

Description:
Editor for manipulating PDF documents Complete editing of pdf documents is made possible with PDFedit. You can change either raw pdf objects (for advanced users) or use predefined gui functions. Functions can be easily added as everything is based on a scripts. . Scripting is used to a great extent in editor and almost anything can be scripted, it is possible to create own scripts or plugins.
-------------------------------------------------
comix

Programm: yes Popularity: 3.2/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section universe/x11

Weblinks:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Comix

Description:
GTK Comic Book Viewer Comix is a comic book viewer. It reads zip, rar, tar, tar.gz and tar.bz2 archives (often called .cbz, .cbr and .cbt) as well as normal image files. It is written in Python and has a simple user interface using PyGTK. . Main Features: . * Fullscreen mode. * Double page mode. * Fit-to-screen mode. * Zooming and scrolling. * Rotation and mirroring. * Magnification lens. * Changeable image scaling quality. * Image enhancement. * Can read right-to-left to fit manga etc. * Caching for faster page flipping. * Bookmarks support. * Customizable GUI. * Archive comments support. * Archive converter. * Thumbnail browser. * Standards compliant. * Translated to English, Swedish, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and German. * Reads the JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, BMP, ICO, XPM and XBM image formats. * Reads ZIP and tar archives natively, and RAR archives through the unrar program. * Runs on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and virtually any other UNIX-like OS. * More!
gpaint

Programm: yes Popularity: 3.1/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section gnome

Weblinks:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Edubuntu/Programme

Description:
GNU Paint - a small, easy to use paint program for GNOME This is gpaint (GNU Paint), a small-scale painting program for GNOME, the GNU Desktop Environment. gpaint does not attempt to compete with GIMP, it is just a simple drawing package based on xpaint, along the lines of 'Paintbrush' from a popular non-free operating system. . Currently gpaint has the following features: * Drawing tools such as ovals, freehand, polygon and text, with fill or shadow for polygons and closed freehand shapes. * Cut and paste by selecting irregular regions or polygons. * Preliminary print support using gnome-print. * Modern, ease-to-use user interface with tool and color palettes. * Multiple-image editing in a single instance of the program. * All the image processing features present in xpaint.
------------------------------
kgamma

Programm: no Popularity: 3.1/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section graphics

Description:
monitor calibration panel for KDE 4 This package contains a settings panel for adjusting the brightness, contrast, and gamma-correction of a monitor. Test patterns are shown to help determine the settings that accurately display the full range of colors. . Each of the red, green, and blue components can be adjusted individually, or all three components can be adjusted together. . This package is part of the KDE 4 graphics module.
----------------------------------------------------
hardinfo

Programm: yes Popularity: 3.1/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section universe/x11

Weblinks:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/HardInfo

Description:
Displays system information HardInfo is a small application that displays information about your hardware and operating system. Currently it knows about PCI, ISA PnP, USB, IDE, SCSI, Serial and parallel port devices.
kamera

Programm: no Popularity: 3.1/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section graphics

Description:
digital camera support for KDE 4 applications This package allows any KDE 4 application to access and manipulate pictures on a digital camera. . This package is part of the KDE 4 graphics module.
-----------------------------------------
cameramonitor

Programm: yes Popularity: 3.0/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section universe/gnome

Description:
Webcam monitoring in system tray Camera Monitor is a little system tray icon that appears when your webcam is on. It is designed for the GNOME desktop, but should work as well on KDE and Xfce.
------------------------------
texmaker

Programm: yes Popularity: 3.0/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section universe/tex

Weblinks:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/TeXMaker

Description:
cross-platform LaTeX editor Texmaker is a clean, highly configurable LaTeX editor with good hot key support and extensive LaTeX documentation. Texmaker integrates many tools needed to develop documents with LaTeX, in just one application. It has some nice features such as syntax highlighting, insertion of 370 mathematical symbols with only one click, and "structure view" of the document for easier navigation.
-------------------------------------------
djview

Programm: no Popularity: 2.9/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.
Debian section universe/graphics

Description:
Transition package for djview to djview3 Ease transition of package name from djview to djview3.
djview4

Programm: yes Popularity: 2.9/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.

Description:
Viewer for the DjVu image format DjVu viewer djview.
gscan2pdf

Programm: yes Popularity: 2.8/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.

Weblinks:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/gscan2pdf
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/gscan2pdf

Description:
A GUI to produce PDFs from scanned documents Only two clicks are required to scan several pages and then save all or a selection as a PDF or DjVu file, including metadata if required. . gscan2pdf can control regular or sheet-fed (ADF) scanners with SANE via scanimage or scanadf, and can scan multiple pages at once. It presents a thumbnail view of scanned pages, and permits simple operations such as rotating and deleting pages. . PDF conversion is done by PDF::API2. . The resulting document may be saved as a PDF, DjVu, multipage TIFF file, or single page image file. . The gscan2pdf homepage is http://gscan2pdf.sourceforge.net/
rawstudio

Programm: yes Popularity: 2.7/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.

Description:
RAW image converter To get the best quality out of your digital camera, it is often recommended that you record your pictures in RAW format. This format is mostly specific to a camera and cannot be read by most image editing applications. . Rawstudio will convert your RAW files into JPEG, PNG or TIF images. It has a graphical user interface, so you can simply open a RAW file and experiment with the controls to see how they effect the image. . The normal workflow would be that you first convert your RAW files and then use an image editing application to further work on your images. Rawstudio itself is a highly specialized application for processing RAW images, not a fully featured image editing application.
gpar2

Programm: yes Popularity: 2.6/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.

Description:
A GUI for verifying and repairing PAR and PAR2 recovery sets A simple, easy to use graphical interface for verification and repair of PAR v1.0 and PAR v2.0(PAR2) recovery sets. PAR1 support is currently minimal, as it is deprecated this most likely will not change, so do not expect the headers, progress, output, and status to update when performing actions on these. .
gprename

Programm: yes Popularity: 2.4/5 stars The stars show how often the program is installed and used by the Ubuntu users.

Description:
Complete batch renamer for Linux GPRename is a complete batch renamer for files and directorys. GPRename easily can replace, remove, insert, delete and number consecutively files and directorys.