JOYUSING L140 scanning

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

Mutant04
Number of books owned: 0

JOYUSING L140 scanning

Post by Mutant04 »

First of all, hello everyone,

This is my first post after registration. I hope I have the correct section.

I have recently purchased a Joyusing L140 Book scanner.

I have all connected up and seems fine. However when I use the Book Mode and do a scan. The result is absolutely horrible. Very blocky, very low threshold and colours are big blocks of blue.

In the normal document mode the scan taken seems OK, colours not a bad match, and quality good.

I guess I could use the Document Mode then use scan taylor to split it. However the build in software is suppose to have page splitting and page flattening build in.

Just wondered if anyone has any advice/help as to why the Book mode doesn't work. Would it be a lighting issue?

Any help would be most welcome, as at the present time I feel I've wasted my money.

I have contacted the maker (Joyusing), but so far I have had no reply. So pretty bad customer service.

Thanks all.
cday

Re: JOYUSING L140 scanning

Post by cday »

Mutant04 wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 10:35 First of all, hello everyone...
Hello!
I have recently purchased a Joyusing L140 Book scanner.

I have all connected up and seems fine. However when I use the Book Mode and do a scan. The result is absolutely horrible. Very blocky, very low threshold and colours are big blocks of blue.

In the normal document mode the scan taken seems OK, colours not a bad match, and quality good.

I guess I could use the Document Mode then use scan taylor to split it. However the build in software is suppose to have page splitting and page flattening build in.

Just wondered if anyone has any advice/help as to why the Book mode doesn't work. Would it be a lighting issue?
I have downloaded some of the documentation from joyusing.com which I attach.

Are you able to post an example image from Book Mode, I am not sure what the forum maximum attachment size is, but it should I think be possible to save at least a JPEG image?

If Document Mode produces reasonable quality results, then one would assume that Book Mode also should, so possibly a setting issue?

There have been rather mixed reports on the results from this concept of scanner, which quite a number of manufacturers, generally previously unknow in the west, are now marketing. But you do at least seem to be getting reasonably promising results, and the documentation looks good quality.

L140 Document Scannner Datasheet.pdf
(930.61 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
L140_User_Manual.pdf
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
Joyusing Document Scanner L140 User Manual.pdf
(9.16 MiB) Downloaded 57 times

Edit:

Looking on Amazon UK the price looks very reasonable, mixed number of star-level customer reviews, one in French reported quick response to a request for a French-language manual, no doubt easier to provide than an answer to a technical question. Many links in other languages, DeepL.com may be helpful there. You might also check for reviews on Amazon USA if the item is sold there.

Mutant04

Post by Mutant04 »

Thanks for reply, much appreciated.

I have the documentation, but thanks for including in your post.

I have included some scans to show the problem.

To get abit of the set up and background. The scanner is set up on a large desk. The black mat has been put down and scanner set up, the hand scanner button (sort of a remote switch) is attached.

I place the first sample on (a magazine), in document mode and take a picture (sample 1). I then switch to book mode, and Take another picture, the software does split the pages to right and left. But the colours are terrible and income cases it seems the auto flatten feature does a worse job. (Sample 1 right and sample 1 left)

All pictures taken with the remote switch.

I do the process again, this time with a page from a clothes catalogue. See pictures Sample 2, sample 2 left and sample 2 right.
Bit better flattening, but still horrible colours.

I've tried looking in the settings, but they seem pretty limited.

Any ideas/help/advice would be much appreciated.

The actual device does seem of good quality, and the pictures themselves don't seem too bad (when it takes them correctly).
Sample 1 document mode
Sample 1 document mode
Sample 1 book mode left page
Sample 1 book mode left page
Sample 1 book mode right page
Sample 1 book mode right page
Sample 2 document mode
Sample 2 document mode
Sample 2 book mode left page
Sample 2 book mode left page
Sample 2 book mode right page
Sample 2 book mode right page
Last edited by Mutant04 on 16 Oct 2022, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
cday

Post by cday »

Regarding the colours, it look as if the images produced could benefit from some enhancement: do you have any experience with image editing software? The scanner interface may also provide settings that you could adjust, possibly in a preview display, have you investigated that possibility?

Regarding the images you have posted:

The forum attachment interface has a facility to display text below each attachment as a 'File Comment', which you could use to add helpful captions to the images you have uploaded.

And note that when a series of images are attached, for some reason they are displayed in the post in reverse order, which can cause some confusion. This issue can be avoided by using the option to place an attachment 'inline', when the image is placed at the location of the insertion point when the option is clicked. Takes some clear thinking and a little practice when posting multiple images to best effect!

You should be able to edit your post using the 'pencil' icon at top right, and might consider whether fewer images might possibly more clearly illustrate the problems that you are encountering.
Mutant04

Post by Mutant04 »

Thanks for your help. I have edited the attached pictures into the correct order and added captions.

With regards to image editing, yeah I'm an experienced Photoshop user (I've been using Photoshop since version 3 over 20 years)

I have played around and got some sort of colour difference, that is usable. The skewing of the page is more of a problem, and to be honest I shouldn't need to have to do these extra steps, or if I do then only a slight colour tweak.

It defeats the object of the software.
cday

Post by cday »

That looks better... :D

With regard to image enhancement, my immediate feeling was that maybe a levels adjustment, for example, which could be batched, might be beneficial.

I am not well-up on colour, and had a significant problem myself last year while flatbed scanning archived old club accounts, when the colour of scanned aged sheets on screen was substantially different from the colour of the originals. I tried two different scanners after determining that the issue did not seem to arise from the often very thin sheets not being pressed down firmly enough on the scanner glass. I never found the answer, and spent considerable time tweaking the scans to more closely match the originals.

Possibly a colour profile issue, something I have never spent time researching. That is possibly something you might usefully investigate: whether the images produced are being viewed with the same colour profile as the images output from the scanner. I would be interested in any thoughts you may have on that. It is also as well to remember that modern laptop and monitor screens do not generally reproduce colour very accurately.

Edit:

Looking again at the Amazon UK reviews, one of the 4-star reviews (not sure if those are accessible from the saved web page I posted) I found this comment:

>Had to play around with the advanced settings to get good colour accuracy, but when you get it right it's good.