Single camera - "wrong" side pages flip back

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

nightshift
E-book readers owned: Nook Glowlight 4, Kindle Fire 5th gen
Number of books owned: 100

Re: Single camera - "wrong" side pages flip back

Post by nightshift »

cday wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 14:02 I was also thinking that a spacer could assist in keeping any hold-down device you use out of the wanted view area. Probably obvious... :D
I think maybe we're using the term "spacer" and it's use differently. Can you be more specific about how you envision this would work and what you might use to do it?
nightshift
E-book readers owned: Nook Glowlight 4, Kindle Fire 5th gen
Number of books owned: 100

Post by nightshift »

Early testing says....remove the spine support/riser, add a scrap of foam core behind the right (the pages being scanned) cover and, a single large, but thin washer hanging down to press the left pages down. I also adjusted the tripod angle, it was not at all close to parallel before.
20240228_005614.jpg
(Photo taken with my cell leaning against the adjusted tripod for angle, and NOT setup in the right spot for scanning as evidenced by the light fixture reflection).

A couple notes, the scrap behind the right cover may not be necessary with hard back books, but absolute was for this small perfect bound. Larger books may need more washers, and once I've done some additional testing will come up with a better way to encase and "hang" them.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

nightshift wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 18:27
cday wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 14:02 I was also thinking that a spacer could assist in keeping any hold-down device you use out of the wanted view area. Probably obvious... :D
I think maybe we're using the term "spacer" and it's use differently. Can you be more specific about how you envision this would work and what you might use to do it?
Something that would lift the book slightly above the platform sheet on which it rests, a 1/2" thick block for example, the other dimension might vary depending on the thickness of the book. A sketch would explain better but I'm not set up for easy sketching, hopefully you can follow what I mean.

The possible advantages seen are that the upright part of the book could potentially be bent further back, and any simple device or mechanism you may come up to hold that part clear might be more easily kept out of the camera view. Thickness of the block is purely illustrative, and the other dimension might have alternative values for different book thicknesses.