Book Scanning Services

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Book Scanning Services

Post by daniel_reetz »

Interesting, I guess there are services that scan and OCR books for the general public, at a price. Might not really be news, but it is interesting, legally speaking.

The booksprung website has lots of other DIYBookScanner relevant content.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Book Scanning Services

Post by Misty »

I've seen these services advertised to institutions (libraries, archives) before, but this is the first time I've seen one targeted to end users. I guess it's the natural extension of the VHS/Super8 transfer shops you see around, but I hadn't really expected to see something like this, at least with current technology.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

I wonder if they keep all of the books they have done on file. So if someone sends in a duplicate they'll just give them that file and charge the same.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

In the article they mention that one of the scans was bad, and the service restored it from "an archival copy". Seems like they keep books on file...
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

LOL! Sounds like the person of this company likes books, and started this as a project or something like many on this website. Then fell into copying other peoples books (for money), and then on top of that they have all of the books they have done at there disposal.