Anybody here use a tablet?

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

tsttm

Anybody here use a tablet?

Post by tsttm »

Just curious.
jradi

Re: Anybody here use a tablet?

Post by jradi »

I used the vadem clio, which could convert into a tablet. It was one of my favorite little toys. Now I read on a netbook, which is a similar experience (rotate screen 90 and 270 degrees). I actually like my netbook even better than my amazon kindle!
tsttm

Post by tsttm »

wow, never heard or seen a vadem clio before...interesting. I wonder why that swing arm design fell out of favor...maybe a little cumbersome?

i have a lenovo tablet; quite happy with it although i think i'm only using a fraction of its potential. Always learning about new program to use with it though...
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I use a Toshiba M200. Running Windows XP. With a copy of PDF Annotator, I can read and modify the TEN ZILLION SUPER BORING PDFs that I have to read for my thesis.

My general thoughts: It's good for this one task but sucks generally.
tsttm

Post by tsttm »

yeah, i use pdf annotator as well. do you use it as your main computer?

I don't find my tablet lacks anything compared to a regular laptop...but i only use it to do 'work' & i do have a desktop i use for multimedia & grunt work stuff.

I'm curious to find out why you think it sucks for everything else.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I think the Windows tablet experience sucks. Keep in mind the kinds of tasks I do -- graphics, 3D modeling, programming. None are "mousy" tasks that are well-suited to a tablet. Then, you have to deal with the high-res screen of the Toshiba, but it's under two blurry layers of glass, so it has this funny sheen to it. Then the mostly underpowered processor which barely kicks out an acceptable framerate with YouTube, then the horrid battery life. For me, it's less than ideal. \

On the other hand, I scored big time with my Tosh -- I got it for a hundred fifty bucks and I had a stylus that works with it in the closet from an old Wacom tablet. However, for me it's just a reader, a poor one, and sometimes a glorified email-checker.