Portable Software Suite...?

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Portable Software Suite...?

Post by Misty »

@loyukfai: What kinds of PDFs are you trying to make? Do you want PDFs which contain only text, or which have a combination of text and pictures? Because if you want only text, you don't need PDFBeads... you can just use jbig2enc on its own.

Edit: You can find a binary of jbig2enc for Linux here: http://www.dokupuppylinux.tk/programs:encoders or here: http://code.google.com/p/pdfrecompressor/downloads/list I don't use Linux, so I can't vouch for how well it works. The DokuPuppyLinux site is maintained by Dingodog, who's a site member here, so maybe he can help you?

Strider: I've never had great success with ddjvu. It doesn't perform great for mixed text/image files, and only supports G4 compression so text isn't compressed as optimally as I'd prefer.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
strider1551

Post by strider1551 »

Misty wrote: Strider: I've never had great success with ddjvu. It doesn't perform great for mixed text/image files, and only supports G4 compression so text isn't compressed as optimally as I'd prefer.
Oh, I totally agree - ddjvu is not going to produce the best possible PDF, it's just the only option I know of to go directly from Djvu to PDF, and certainly much simpler than going Djvu to Tiff to Pdf.

That being said, it is handy in certain situations. If the image is just a simple black and white text, the quality of the PDF is about the same but with a slightly inflated size compared to the original.
Misty

Post by Misty »

To get PDFBeads working, use Ruby 1.9. If you want to use apt-get:

- uninstall the Ruby packages you installed (optional, but no point keeping around packages you aren't using!)
- install ruby-1.9.1-full
-

Code: Select all

sudo gem1.9.1 install pdfbeads rmagick hpricot
- Add the Ruby gem path by adding this line to the .profile file in your home directory:

PATH=$PATH:/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/bin
I've tested this, and I got a correct PDF output from PDFBeads.

PS - you can specify an output name with the -o switch, for instance:

pdfbeads -o 123.pdf
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Misty

Post by Misty »

strider1551 wrote:Oh, I totally agree - ddjvu is not going to produce the best possible PDF, it's just the only option I know of to go directly from Djvu to PDF, and certainly much simpler than going Djvu to Tiff to Pdf.

That being said, it is handy in certain situations. If the image is just a simple black and white text, the quality of the PDF is about the same but with a slightly inflated size compared to the original.
Yeah, it's not bad for pure text, just not optimal. I wouldn't recommend it for users whose goal is a PDF, and who don't want Djvu. I can imagine it's handy for people with Djvu collections though.
Lazy_Kent

Post by Lazy_Kent »

loyukfai wrote:As suggeted by @snaguy over here (http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 594#p10594), I'm trying to build a Live USB drive to run ScanTailor and PDFBeads.

Installing ScanTailor is a piece of cake since it's available in the Ubuntu archive.

Also found GPRename which should handle the renaming task.

However, I have problems getting PDFBeads to work...

After installing Ruby and RubyGems through Software Center, I installed PDFBeads ("sudo gem install pdfbeads"), then proceeded to install the below through Software Center...

imagemagick
graphicsmagick
libmagickcore-dev
libmagickwand-dev
Then run "sudo gem install rmagick" and ran into many of such errors...

No definition for TextureFill_initialize
No definition for TextureFill_fill
No definition for ImageMagickError_initialize
No definition for Enum_initialize
No definition for Enum_to_s
No definition for Enum_to_i
No definition for Enum_spaceship
No definition for Enum_case_eq
And running PDFBeads just give me a 0-byte output...

ubuntu@ubuntu:/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/pdfbeads-1.0.3/lib$ ruby -rubygems ./pdfbeads.rb /home/ubuntu/Desktop/PDFBeads/out/* > /home/ubuntu/Desktop/123.pdf
Any idea...?

P.S. Besides, how to add pdfbeads to path so that no need to run a long commandline everytime?

Thanks in advance!
I recommend to build a custom LiveCD/USB in SUSE Studio.
Add home:Lazy_Kent repository to your build. It contains PDFBeads, ScanTailor and more.
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=643
Misty

Post by Misty »

Wow, SUSE Studio looks amazing. Never seen a web-based live USB builder before.

I was told when trying to add a repository from 'home:Lazy_Kent' that there was not a compatible version. Is the 'Lazy_Kent for 11.4' repo from the search the one you'd recommend?
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad

Post by snaguy »

loyukfai
I'm wanting PDF outputs because of my reader setup.
What is your reader setup?
loyukfai

Post by loyukfai »

snaguy wrote:What is your reader setup?
Windows desktop plus Android devices. EPUB mixed with PDF.

Cheers.
loyukfai

Post by loyukfai »

@Misty: Thanks! Now that PDFBeads is running with Ruby1.8, I don't want to tinker with it anymore and start shooting the books ASAP.

(Did copy pdfbeads to /home/ubuntu/bin, which supposed to have the path automatically added due to the presence of "bin" directory according to .profile, but didn't work out last time. Will try again later)

Will check out the jbig stuff after I have a few complete book collections.

Thanks!!!
Lazy_Kent

Post by Lazy_Kent »

Misty wrote:I was told when trying to add a repository from 'home:Lazy_Kent' that there was not a compatible version. Is the 'Lazy_Kent for 11.4' repo from the search the one you'd recommend?
Create image based on openSUSE 11.4 and add 'Lazy_Kent for 11.4'.