PDFBeads — Convert Scanned Images to a Single PDF File

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: PDFBeads — Convert Scanned Images to a Single PDF File

Post by Misty »

That's a Homebrew problem, so I'd recommend checking the Homebrew site for help. Someone there did have a similar issue, which they solved by doing

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R (your user name) /usr/local
Then try

brew link git
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
seasalt

Post by seasalt »

sorry for it not going smoothly and thanks Misty
done that step (brew link git)

now up to:
entered
brew update

processed a bit then got:
From http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew
* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
error: Untracked working tree file '.gitignore' would be overwritten by merge.

Error: Failed while executing git pull http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew.git master

is it telling me something bigger wrong?
all these little errors?
do I need to get brew help ?
Misty

Post by Misty »

Like I said, please check the Homebrew site for problems with it. Official support from the developers is available there.

An issue on the project there mentioned exactly the same problem you're talking about: https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/5128 The fix was to do the following:

cd /usr/local/
git remote add origin git://github.com/mxcl/homebrew.git
Then do

brew update
again, and you should be okay.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
knappen

Post by knappen »

Not sure if this instruction video has been posted already, but it can't hurt to repeat it as it is very helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZ061GVz34
knappen

Post by knappen »

I should be said that the video only tells you how to install PDFBeads on Windows. I still have no idea how to use the program.

Is there a list of commands that can be found somewhere? A Googletranslation of the Russian manual is clear in parts, but very confusing in others.
Misty

Post by Misty »

There doesn't seem to be detailed documentation in English, but you can get a briefer discussion of the options in English by doing pdfbeads --help
knappen

Post by knappen »

I find it quite hard to get a grasp on this.

Could someone please give an example of the command line I should write to simply convert a folder of Scan Tailor converted files with text&images into a compressed PDF file?

I constantly get the following messages when I try to fill in :

"Warning: the hpricot extension is not available. I'll not be able to create hidden text layer from hOCR files."

and

"pdfbeads: no pages to process"
loyukfai

Post by loyukfai »

Is it possible to have this and the required supporting software run off a USB flash drive...? I'm looking for a portable solution to make PDF out of scanned pages that runs on Windows (http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=1063).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

P.S. How can I make this handle inputs from 2 different cameras, as is usual in DIY book scanning? I suppose the files should be separately handled in ScanTailor, correct?
Misty

Post by Misty »

You may be able to use the RubyInstaller version of Ruby 1.9.2 (http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/), which is available as a 7-zip archive. I don't use Windows, so I haven't tested it myself, but it appears to work with no installer required. That should include RubyGems, which will allow you to install the three gem requirements for PDFBeads. Note that you'll also have to install ImageMagick, which is available as a portable .zip

You should already have all your pages in order by the time you pass them to PDFBeads. Scan Tailor can work either with all pages at once, or in two batches - I've typically had good results with doing them all in one go, as long as you were getting consistent results between both sets of pages. If you process them separately, you'll need to rename them to place them in one set of pages, in order, before processing them in PDFBeads.

Edit: Apparently there's also a One-Click Ruby Application builder available, which builds a single .exe from the desired application and all of its dependencies, as well as the Ruby interpreter. Again, since I don't use Windows regularly, I haven't tested it - but that might also be an option. It'll require a little legwork, since I don't think anyone's packaged PDFBeads this way so far.
loyukfai

Post by loyukfai »

Thanks very much! I managed to install PDFBeads on my machine and had a successful trial run. However, when I try to package the items with OCRA, it didn't succeed.

=== Loading script to check dependencies
Warning: the hpricot extension is not available. I'll not be able
        to create hidden text layer from hOCR files.
=== Detected gem rmagick-2.12.0-x86-mswin32 (loaded, files)
=== WARNING: C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.12.0-x86-mswin32/ext wa
s not found
=== WARNING: C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.12.0-x86-mswin32/lib wa
s not found
===     5 files, 15032482 bytes
=== Building pdfbeads.exe
=== Adding user-supplied source files
=== Adding ruby executable ruby.exe
=== Adding detected DLL C:/Ruby187/bin/libiconv2.dll
=== Adding library files
=== Compressing 18228961 bytes
Running the resulting pdfbeads.exe says the following...

C:/Users/LOYUKF~1/AppData/Local/Temp/ocrAB0D.tmp/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdfbeads
-1.0.3/lib/pdfbeads.rb:36:in `require': no such file to load -- RMagick (LoadErr
or)
        from C:/Users/LOYUKF~1/AppData/Local/Temp/ocrAB0D.tmp/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/
gems/pdfbeads-1.0.3/lib/pdfbeads.rb:36
Any idea...?

Cheers.

P.S. The video linked by knappen above (http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... 367#p10367) on installing PDFBeads on Windows is good!